Yet ANOTHER doomsday headed our way?

Guest metralink

Guest metralink

Is doomsday II here? With sales tax down and the RTA calling for reductions, what are the predictions of what will happen?

New fare increases? cuts in frequencies?, weekend service?, cuts in the new RTA ICE and planning programs? Pace operating cta suburban service at a cheaper operating cost? elimination of feeders for Pace and downtown CTA metra buses? increased ADA fare increases?

Who knows the future, place your bets.

Is doomsday II here? With sales tax down and the RTA calling for reductions, what are the predictions of what will happen?

New fare increases? cuts in frequencies?, weekend service?, cuts in the new RTA ICE and planning programs? Pace operating cta suburban service at a cheaper operating cost? elimination of feeders for Pace and downtown CTA metra buses? increased ADA fare increases?

Who knows the future, place your bets.

Weve all seen this before, Nothing but a scare tactic! Im not going to bite my nails over it. What I am going to do is enjoy watching all the CTA, Metra and Pace footage everytime this subject comes up on the news.

Weve all seen this before, Nothing but a scare tactic! Im not going to bite my nails over it. What I am going to do is enjoy watching all the CTA, Metra and Pace footage everytime this subject comes up on the news.

Yep...just a new way to scare us. This is getting ridiculous now. The whole doomsday scene is getting very tiring.

While others mentioned scare tactics, I won't go that far (since if there isn't money there isn't money), but will say that I will not go along with repeating the 2007 b.s. again. If the RTA and CTA boards can't control their finances, and couldn't see two months ago the situation that the economy was in, both should be dumped. We got no real reform the last time, so, don't hit the taxpayers pocketbooks again (especially given the cries of doom from the state, too).

BTW, somebody on the Tribune boards had a link to this RTA Press Release dated December 18, 2008, saying that "'We are certainly in a better place today than a year ago; our service boards aren't facing doomsday as we did last year that threatened significant system-wide fare hikes, service cuts and layoffs. We're better positioned to operate efficiently with the budget approval...'"Remember, that was only 2 months ago.

BTW, I wonder if the CTA sold the pension bonds, and invested the money into the stock market BEFORE it tanked 50%? And before the real estate transfer tax dried up? Will we ever have a transparent disclosure of that transaction?

What I am going to do is enjoy watching all the CTA, Metra and Pace footage everytime this subject comes up on the news.

Well, you were right about that. Channel 7 had a slide with a MAN 4000, and a 4700 in the file footage. Also a lot of NABIs, but I'll leave it to BusExpert whether they were also of obsolete footage. ;)

In the meantime, we had Carole Brown saying that they can't go back and raise fares for 2008. I suppose technically they could for those who used Chicago Card Plus, but legally they can't.

Well, you were right about that. Channel 7 had a slide with a MAN 4000, and a 4700 in the file footage. Also a lot of NABIs, but I'll leave it to BusExpert whether they were also of obsolete footage. ;)

It's possible. Bushunter and a few others have the real informatin about the retirement of the NABI 7500s. If there were 211 active NABIs left on January 22, then I would infer that there would be a smaller (or the same) amount now.

It's possible. Bushunter and a few others have the real informatin about the retirement of the NABI 7500s. If there were 211 active NABIs left on January 22, then I would infer that there would be a smaller (or the same) amount now.

Might want to check the announcement on the homepage and a post from Kevin about the NABIs being pulled from service as of this afternoon for safety reasons due to structural flaws. Looks like they're obsolete now.

Might want to check the announcement on the homepage and a post from Kevin about the NABIs being pulled from service as of this afternoon for safety reasons due to structural flaws. Looks like they're obsolete now.

anyone else think that Rail Lines are going to get reduced service? I have a feeling that the Purple Line Express is gonna be the first to go

Ok. So now the active NABI count is down to zero. Although, zero is less than 200. :lol:

Although WGN Radio said that it might be for a couple of days.

So, it seems you like to come to conclusions. Also, don't forget that someone also posted here that NF was leaving the U.S. I say wait and see.

P.S. I see that someone was caught jumping the gun on Wikipedia. If it was you, I suggest you at least get a sign-on and comply with Wikipedia's rules. If not, whoever has the 75. ip address should. Someone will revert you.

Although WGN Radio said that it might be for a couple of days.

So, it seems you like to come to conclusions. Also, don't forget that someone also posted here that NF was leaving the U.S. I say wait and see.

P.S. I see that someone was caught jumping the gun on Wikipedia. If it was you, I suggest you at least get a sign-on and comply with Wikipedia's rules. If not, whoever has the 75. ip address should. Someone will revert you.

So what if I come to conclusions? Also, I don't care for Wikipedia and don't read it. It isn't a reliable source. People can just mess up the information.

Also, I don't care for Wikipedia and don't read it. It isn't a reliable source. People just mess up the information.

So true. You make sense with that.

However, I think that there are a couple of chicagobus.org hangers on who are messing with Wikipedia without observing the "verifiable source" rule. My prior message goes to them, with apologies to BusExpert.

How about a plan like this?:

* Train fares would be raised from $2.25 to $3.25.

* Bus fares would be lowered from $2.00 or $2.25 to $1.50.

Like it or hate it, but if maintaining rail lines costs so much more than maintaining bus service, it should cost more than $0.25 more and even $0 in many cases. Give the people who take the slower bus routes rather than faster rail service a break, and for those who think they can afford rail over bus in my proposal, then more revenue for the CTA.

Like it or hate it, but if maintaining rail lines costs so much more than maintaining bus service, it should cost more than $0.25 more and even $0 in many cases. Give the peoople who take the slower bus routes rather than faster rail service a break, and for those who think they can afford rail over bus in my proposal, then more revenue for the CTA.

The other side is because you can cram 1000 people in an 8 car train with one operator, the trains actually come close to breaking even. I mentioned somewhere else that they haven't figured out a way to operate a bus with less than one operator.

Faster service (perhaps, although I have seen the 147 bus beat the Howard L) and free transfer between L lines might justify a somewhat higher L fare, but not to this extent.