Farewell 5800's

Zol87

Today we say farewell to another old friend, the New Flyer 5800's.

They were a great bus. I enjoyed riding them over the years on many of the North Park routes like the 22, 36, 97, 201, 93, 49B, 11, 151. I remember the stop request tone being really unique. It was a Electronic Beep sound compared to the standard Ding on all the other buses. My last ride was on 10/14/08 on the 151 heading up to Foster. I will miss this bus even though there are similar New Flyer in service.

R.I.P. New Flyer 5800's!

Here is a farewell song for the recently retired 4400, 5300 and 5800 series buses for all there years of great service.

The Beatles in My Life

5805-2_med.jpg

They were a great bus. I enjoyed riding them over the years on many of the North Park routes like the 22, 36, 97, 201, 93, 49B, 11, 151. I remember the stop request tone being really unique. It was a Electronic Beep sound compared to the standard Ding on all the other buses. My last ride was on 10/14/08 on the 151 heading up to Foster. I will miss this bus even though there are similar New Flyer in service.

R.I.P. New Flyer 5800's!Farewell song

5805-2.jpg

I'll miss the rear window and the small window near the exit door too.

I think the engine/transmission combo on this bus sounded better than that of the 1000 series.

Gene King :(

R.I.P. New Flyer 5800's!

Here is a farewell song for the recently retired 4400, 5300 and 5800 series buses for all there years of great service.

The Beatles in My Life

R.I.P to the 5800s. You'll be missed by this bus fan! I remember riding the 5800s on some occassions on routes like #11, #22, #36 and #151.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a trip down to the fire academy today and found New Flyer #5858 parked out in the drill yard. Heres a couple of pics I took. The run box has "CFD1" and also the No. Park "P" sticker can be seen. The bus looks like it had some work done. The body itself looks very good, no dents or scratches, the wheels, wheel well moldings have all been replaced, the bus interior is cleaned out, as for any interior modifications the bus was left untouched. The rims are off the 1000 NF buses. It looks like CTA gave it a makeover using NF 1000 series parts before turning it over to the CFD. It looks like a 1000 with the 5800 series a/c unit on top.

post-158-1236882130_thumb.jpg

post-158-1236882228_thumb.jpg

Dunno who has "The Crave" fan is but I might go get some White Castles myself.

:lol: I had one of their large chocolate shakes yesterday, normally I don't get 44oz shakes but with my sore throat it was good.

Anyways its also amazing how nice 5858 looks with the fresh paint job.

It sort of looks like the buses on the Canadian sites while they are being delivered (apparently before the locality attaches decals). Here, it was heading in the other direction.

:lol: I had one of their large chocolate shakes yesterday, normally I don't get 44oz shakes but with my sore throat it was good.

Im off sunday, Im getting a choc shake. Anyway, look how beat up NF #5805 in post #2 looks compared to the one in pics I shot.