train sightings

trey824

today while on my way to school i see a northbound red line train with two boeing vertols 2583 2584 and the cab car was 2583 it was pretty cool to see that rolling stock on the red line.also this evening at the kimball brown line terminal a train consisted of all budd 2600s! and i looked inside and they had the red line map /stop info . why was that on the brown with the red line info inside?

today while on my way to school i see a northbound red line train with two boeing vertols 2583 2584 and the cab car was 2583 it was pretty cool to see that rolling stock on the red line.also this evening at the kimball brown line terminal a train consisted of all budd 2600s! and i looked inside and they had the red line map /stop info . why was that on the brown with the red line info inside?

As I have stated several times, the Red Line occasionally borrows Purple Line 2400s, while in turn the Brown Line borrows a few of the Red Line 2600s. Most of this is due to the shortage of equipment officially assigned to the Brown Line (that line is currently assigned 152 cars, but still not enough because the Kimball Yard is short on storage space to the point that some of its cars get laid up at other CTA yards, including the Harlem Yard at the west end of the Green Line, during off-peak periods).

As I have stated several times, the Red Line occasionally borrows Purple Line 2400s, while in turn the Brown Line borrows a few of the Red Line 2600s. Most of this is due to the shortage of equipment officially assigned to the Brown Line (that line is currently assigned 152 cars, but still not enough because the Kimball Yard is short on storage space to the point that some of its cars get laid up at other CTA yards, including the Harlem Yard at the west end of the Green Line, during off-peak periods).

Yeah thats actually kinda common to see sometimes you can even catch a six car train of 2600's on the Green Line as well as 3200's and every once in a while you would see 2400's on the red line and remember 2400's used to frequently run on the red line along with the 2600's. I would like to see the 2200's run with the 3200's Ive seen every car couple with another excpet for that combination. Have anybody else seen or would like to see that??

That actually happened during the winter of 1999 when Chicago had that mini blizzard. At that time, the cta wasn't very coordinated in the event of inclement weather. When almost half of the rail cars were out of service, the cta had to shift cars around to different routes to accommodate the ridership. I remember the Red Line borrowed Green Line and Purple Line cars. The Blue Line borrowed Orange, Green and Brown Line cars. The situation was so hectic that trains of all mixed series were coupled together. It was weird seeing the 2400-series back on the Blue Line. The craziest site was an eight car Blue Line train consisting of 3200s and 2200s displaying Blue and Brown Line destination signs. Also, about two years ago, there was a railfan trip around the system using a six car train of 2200s, 2400s, and 3200s.