Articulated Low Floor Transits - Who Was First

Don't know about the first, but it is documented by T8H's photos that New Flyer had a demonstrator here in 1997.

Since Nova and Orion (Mercedes Citaro) only made recent announcements, and they and NABI seem to be the only other heavy duty bus manufacturers in the U.S. market, that would seem to limit the universe.

Not in the U.S., but one of the first widely noted deliveries of D60LFs was in Ottawa, in 2001.

BTW, with regard to the other postings about Ottawa's newest articulateds being taken out of service, Googling provides plenty of stories, similar to the CTA ones, such as this. At least that article indicates a path to getting them back on the street, which the articles about the CTA NABIs do not. It also mentioned that Winnipeg canceled a hybrid bus order.

Hi All;

Which manufacturer produced the first low floor artic transit bus for use in the US?

What transit authority was the first to operate a low floor artic in the US?

I was rather curious if anyone could have outbid NABI on the CTA order... :rolleyes:

Gene King

This is not personal Gene, I dont direct this at you. I will answer this question as a general question. But this is one answer I have to get off my chest with regard to the NABI artics, and my answer is...Who Cares! :) It is painfully obvious the low floor artic was a bad concept. I believe New Flyer and Neoplan were the first manufacturers to come up with the 40ft Low Floor design back in the late 80s. I knew back then it was going to change transit agencies everywhere, but for the worse.

I am pretty sure it is Strathcona County Transit, near Edmonton.

Yeah Strathcona ended up buying the demo. (Oh wait, A.Badaraco beat me to the punch)

For the record, Mississauga Transit was the launch customer and operator of the D60LF. They ordered 35 of them in 96' and 9751 (the first production unit) was built in March 97'.

Vancouver Translink recieved 21 in 1998.

However those are Canadian TAs.

• 4 weeks later...

The funny thing about the Strathcona D60LF demonstrator is that it has been given preferential treatment with its upgrades. The bus (coach 950) has been given a fresh coat of paint and all-new LED signing throughout the bus. However, the other D60LFs in the series are looking their age and are still using primitive roll signs.

• 2 weeks later...