Metra tracks and cars

Busjack

OT, but it seems the ride on the ME Metra, MD Metra, and UP Metra cars are so smooth and quiet and the BNSF Metra cars are ricketty clackety loud, even on the newer cars. What gives? Who maintains those cars, Metra or the railroads? Could it be the tracks?

Since OT, I made into a new topic.

The 8500s-8600s on the BNSF are the same as the 6000s and other 8500s on other lines.

The other cars on the BNSF go back to the late 50s for the most part (especially the 700s, 800s).

On the other hand, the BNSF is responsible for the track and run heavy freight traffic on it. That is certainly not the case on the ME and UPN, which has no freight, and MDN, which has light freight south of Techny.

Some railfans indicate that after the New Start was completed, the SWS runs with the same equipment as the BNSF. Since some of the track there should be new, you could test this theory there.

OT, but it seems the ride on the ME Metra, MD Metra, and UP Metra cars are so smooth and quiet and the BNSF Metra cars are ricketty clackety loud, even on the newer cars. What gives? Who maintains those cars, Metra or the railroads? Could it be the tracks?

Obviously you haven't been on the ME between 27th and 39th street lately. One could

feel like a milk shake after going through there if in the older cars. If in the newer cars

and due to the lack of air in the air bags to keep from getting caught in the wires, picture

a bus with the kneeler down and hitting a pothole. OUCH :blink:

I will second what busjack said on the BNSF cars. They also have some 7400 and 6000

cars in addition to the newer cab cars, but yes the 700 and 800 series from the 50's are

quite old and tired to say the least. Also, the BNSF would be responsible for maintaining

the rail on their property.

Obviously you haven't been on the ME between 27th and 39th street lately. One could

feel like a milk shake after going through there if in the older cars. If in the newer cars

and due to the lack of air in the air bags to keep from getting caught in the wires, picture

a bus with the kneeler down and hitting a pothole. OUCH :blink:

I will second what busjack said on the BNSF cars. They also have some 7400 and 6000

cars in addition to the newer cab cars, but yes the 700 and 800 series from the 50's are

quite old and tired to say the least. Also, the BNSF would be responsible for maintaining

the rail on their property.

UP does run heavy freight at least on UPW. But who does maintenance on the Metra cars, Metra or UP/BNSF?