UIC Yard

trainman8119

Anyone know what exactly is being constructed along the south side of the main track between UIC and Racine ? It looks like some sort of yard is being built there. There is a lot of work equipment there now, but there is a lot of grading going on and a lot of rail and ties laying around. Actually, there is a little of the same on the North side of the UIC platform, but the south side has fences and has a single track that connects to the main line. At UIC, they have the left shoulder on I-290 closed and the lanes moved over to the right. At that point it appears that they were replacing some sewers. I am not sure if that has to do with what the CTA is doing, or if it is somehow related to the Kennedy ramp work.

Help !!!!

That's my guess as well. They had similar setups to the east of Western station and near Kedzie/Homan on the Forest Park branch a few years ago when track work was being done there. Those tracks were temporary for construction vehicle storage and have since been removed as I remember it.

Thanks guys !!! That sounds like it could be the story.

Yeah, that's it. At Racine last week (monday) there were dumpsters sitting on flatcars (about 4 or 5) with all the old ties they removed that weekend. If you look closely, they have makeshift switches they have installed to get the equipment on the main track. There going to have there work cut out for them soon. I heard that the ballast is going to be removed from between the portal and the river between Lasalle and Clinton. That will be reconcreted and trackwork similar to the Northern areas (from Lasalle to North Portal) will appear. There's also special trackwork that's going to be done at Lasalle Crossover but I don't really know what that entails yet.

• Upvote 1