Seattle Buses

rotjohns

post-501-12568281404723_thumb.jpg

Below are pictures of transit trains/buses during my recent trip to Seattle. I'm gonna tell you right now, my favorite one of all of them was underground transit; to me is was so cool and the trains there are awesome.post-501-12568282385567_thumb.jpg

I came across this fish bowl bus that's not a part of Seattle's transit, it is a private company.

post-501-1256828168683_thumb.jpg

post-501-12568281927899_thumb.jpg

post-501-12568282141548_thumb.jpg

post-501-12568283732175_thumb.jpg

post-501-12568283937946_thumb.jpg

post-501-1256828419872_thumb.jpg

post-501-12568284466524_thumb.jpg

post-501-12568284641593_thumb.jpg

post-501-12568285050193_thumb.jpg

post-501-12568285316377_thumb.jpg

post-501-12568286161658_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

I came across this fish bowl bus that's not a part of Seattle's transit, it is a private company.

It looks like this one is a Flxible, as a GMC bus would usually have a square window where the exit door would otherwise be. A suburban Flx New Look would certainly be unusual.

I guess we also know now why we always hear train horns when a Mariners game is televised.

I've rarely seen suburban Flxible new looks and that is the only one I've seen without a roof mounted a/c condenser. I wonder how old is that bus and is it air conditioned.

I also think the rear window treatment of the New Flyer high floor artic seems different.The window seems inset from the angled panel (Chicagoans contrast it with CTA's retired Flyer buses).

Gene King

I've rarely seen suburban Flxible new looks and that is the only one I've seen without a roof mounted a/c condenser. I wonder how old is that bus and is it air conditioned.

Assuming that it is air conditioned. Out of CTA's about 1000 or 1200 Flxible New Looks, I think only 5 were air conditioned. Also, IIRC, the air conditioners on them, or the Wilmette 35 footers, were above the rear window, similar to on the GMC air conditioned New Looks.

I also think the rear window treatment of the New Flyer high floor artic seems different.The window seems inset from the angled panel (Chicagoans contrast it with CTA's retired Flyer buses).

The angled panel is what makes it look strange. Except for RTSs that did not get the condenser retrofit, most post-1979 buses had flat backs, or slightly rounded ones, but not engines protruding that far out the back.

It looks like this one is a Flxible, as a GMC bus would usually have a square window where the exit door would otherwise be. A suburban Flx New Look would certainly be unusual.

I guess we also know now why we always hear train horns when a Mariners game is televised.

I tried to get a good look at it close up to see what bus it was, but it took off before I get a chance. I know it was from some sort of academy doing a charter. Only one other person was on that bus.

The pics of the trains was just from Sound Transit. Seattle's Union Station is right next to Qwest Field, which is right next to Safeco Field, so all the trains, including Amtrak come through that area. We had to wait at least 3 times for trains to come thru before we could pass the tracks. Also, the underground train we took to Quest Field comes out of the tunnel right at the entrance to Safeco field and there are railroad tracks and lights on the adjoining street. The horn on them is loud too, way louder than the "L" here.

One of King Country Metro's garages is right outside of Safeco Field too, but it was heavily gated so I couldn't get pics. Seattle is known for the trackless trolleys, but they only run M-F, not on the weekends. And bus rides are free anywhere in the downtown metro area from 6am-7pm. I kept looking at people getting on through the back doors and waiting for the bus driver to act a fool, call security, etc. But then I saw one bus where the driver opened the back doors automatically from his seat (most of them are push doors from the inside). Wonder if CTA could afford that...lol.

The cars on Sound Transit's trains are very different and unique, not like the plain ones on Metra.

Busjack I'd have to wonder if that blue bus was air conditioned too, look closely at the seats inside. You wouldn't see that on a regular bus that would've been in service, even if it was in the 70s/80s.

The blue bus, with the picture enlarged says Walla Walla Valley Academy.

The seat backs are very typical of 1970s suburbans, but, as I said, I had only previously seen them on GMC suburbans. The seats don't indicate anything about A/C. It was assumed, until probably the late 80s, that places like Seattle or Toronto had a temperate enough climate that they didn't need air conditioned buses.

I think some of Seattle's 40ft ETBs (trackless trolleys)had been "rebodied" by Gillig a

few years ago. Did you see any Gillig Phantoms with trolley poles?

Gene King

Yes I did, like I said the trolleys didn't come out until Mon, my last day there, but I saw at least 5 Gillig Phantoms. I wish I had my camera ready to go, but I didn't :(

Most of Seattle's system, including Sound Transit, is dominated by New Flyers and Gilligs with NF being more recent. One other thing that I thought was interesting is that on all buses, only the route number is displayed on the 1st left window of the bus after the driver's window. Pace of course displays the route and name on the left, in addition to the traditional right side.

I didn't like the 60-footers with the humped-looking back window, as is 2324. Looked too much like CTA 4900s, which I truly hated.