2300 series retirements

trainman8119

Does anyone know if there is a timeline on the retirement of the Orion I's that Pace has left. They are really starting to look bad, especially the buses that the contract carriers are using. I see 2323 quite often running on the 696 near Woodfield, and quite frankly, it looks horrible. The destination sign is unreadible, the interior is very dark and the body just looks tired. Some of the other 2300's that Keeshin is running seem to be on their last legs too. I realize that Keeshin's maintenance may not be as good as the corporate divisions, but some of the Northwest Division 2300's don't seem to look much better either. Is there less care being given these units, is it age or a little of both ???

I guess with so many new buses running around town these days, that the oldies are beginning to look like what they really are...old, tired and worn out.

pace2322 had reported that some were getting rebuilds. Pace itself had said in its budget that it didn't have capital funds to do much of anything this year (except replace 18 buses, which one can assume are the Chance R52s), and then announced awarding the contract for 96 ElDorados with options for up to 222.

As I previously mentioned many places around here, the logical inference from all this is that the 2300s are going to be around at least until 2008, and thereafter replaced with the ElDorados on the options. Undoubtedly, there will be some equipment shifts, but the 2300s are now at the divisions with the lightest routes (N, NS, NW and contractors).

You also have to consider that contractors are still running 2000s including in Lisle and around Woodfield, and 2122 and 2125 are still running on 626 (despite reports that they were dead, I have seen the last 2 within the past 2 weeks). I assume that they are staying around until the ElDorados are received.

Also, Keeshin O Hare hasn't been operating in over two years; it's now listed as Academy Coach Lines (don't know if affiliated with Colonial Coach). Keeshin lost its lease as a result of O'Hare expansion.

The only definite fact--Pace doesn't have the capital money to replace them now.

• 3 months later...

Theres only two 2300s that are retire.2361 and the good one 2322 and look like to me 2322 soon will be going to buses heaven.Its said to see that one going it went way to soon.If it didnt haveva moter fire it be running.Why is it something u like allways goes like that.No it cant be nabi that had the fire.