Engine 215

In my journey into the Loop this morning, I caught engine 215 going into Union Station from the north. What makes this odd is that this is and F40PH (flat front) type of engine (ie. numbered in the 100's). The F40PH-2 engines (sloped in front) are numbered from 186-214. I don't know what is going on here, whether this is a new, used, or rebuilt with a different number. I am not aware of any new engines slated to come in, especially with the dire need for new equipment on the Electric District apparently on hold because of lack of $$$. If anyone has info, I'd be interested to know what this is all about. If I can find someone up North who knows, I'll post.

Thanks for the info. They must be in some dire straights rehabbing the 400's, with these 2 and

running the F40C's after their semi-retirement.

They are ex Amtrak F40PH 258 and 375 which have been rebuilt to F40PH-3 by Progress Rail in Mayfield KY. Both were ex Tennessee Central Railway Museum and acquired by Metra in 5/09 and sent directly to the rebuild program.

The F40C were reinstated because at present 7 F40PH (101/5/6/12/5/7/23) are in KY being rebuilt and both the F40C and 215/6 are needed in service while the rebuild program is in progress. It is nothing to do with 400s.

100/2-4/7-11/6/8/22 have already been rebuilt to F40PH-3 - easily spotted by the round port hole type window in the cab doors. The first 102 was received back in 7/09 and 122 is on its way back now. Metra has been receiving them back and shipping them out at the rate of about 1 per month. 113/4/9-21/4-7 are the only F40PH still in Chicago.

They are ex Amtrak F40PH 258 and 375 which have been rebuilt to F40PH-3 by Progress Rail in Mayfield KY. Both were ex Tennessee Central Railway Museum and acquired by Metra in 5/09 and sent directly to the rebuild program.

The F40C were reinstated because at present 7 F40PH (101/5/6/12/5/7/23) are in KY being rebuilt and both the F40C and 215/6 are needed in service while the rebuild program is in progress. It is nothing to do with 400s.

100/2-4/7-11/6/8/22 have already been rebuilt to F40PH-3 - easily spotted by the round port hole type window in the cab doors. The first 102 was received back in 7/09 and 122 is on its way back now. Metra has been receiving them back and shipping them out at the rate of about 1 per month. 113/4/9-21/4-7 are the only F40PH still in Chicago.

Does anyone have a pic of the rebuilt ones?

I guess by the two links, you are trying to show that 216 (the transfer) is similar looking to 104 (original Metra equipment).

The one difference is that 216 isn't named. I guess we could be real sarcastic and call it "The Spirit of Phil Pagano."

I guess by the two links, you are trying to show that 216 (the transfer) is similar looking to 104 (original Metra equipment).

The one difference is that 216 isn't named. I guess we could be real sarcastic and call it "The Spirit of Phil Pagano."

104 is also rebuilt to F40PH-3.