Train length numbers in the 3200s

ryanbytes

I've seen the display off and on for the past couple weeks and finally got a reasonable picture of this new display in the cabs of the 3200s. There's a rotary switch to change the number between four, six, and eight. The label says 4 cars, 6 cars, 8 cars or something to that effect. I noticed on a few trains that the numbers didn't correspond to the actual train length or pair location.

Any idea on what this is for?

4812757554_64c2183f10_b_d.jpg

I received this reply from the CTA to my question about the numbers.

Thank you for your inquiry. These displays are just as a reminder to the operator, to assist in berthing the train. An incorrect display shouldn't affect operation.

We appreciate your comments, and thank you for riding the CTA!

CTA FEEDBACK TEAM

The reply gets back to an incident on a train I was riding (Red Line). Essentially, someone knocked on the operator's door and told her that the last two cars were stopping short of the platforms. She replied that she thought she had a 6 car train, not an 8.

Now, if as you indicate, the train doesn't automatically set the number, and there is a thumbwheel to do so, I don't see how the display helps much, at least if the operator is as I last described. Maybe if the operator initially set it correctly, but forgot, or was a relief operator, but not if the operator thought she had taken a 6 car train out of the yard to begin with.