LaSalle Street Station Bus Terminal

dp1

Hello all,

For my first post here, I want to share an idea that I just mailed to CTA planning. It's not a new idea, it's been kicked around for years, and that is a bus terminal/ staging area in the open area on the west side of Metra LaSalle Street Station. I believe it is time to put some or all of that space to use for transit. Pending on how the space is used, the terminal can be comparable to the bus areas at 79th/Western or 79th/Halsted. The routes/services I am proposing for this facility are the following.

#11 Lincoln/Sedgwick

#22 Clark

#36 Broadway

#132 Goose Island Express

#145 Wilson/Michigan Express [* not #148]

ChicaGo Dash buses to/from Valparaiso, Indiana

All Megabus service currently staged at Union Station

Free Enterprise shuttle to Northwestern University

For the #22,#36 and #145 the terminal would take multiple buses off of south loop corners and into a bus facility where drivers can have access to restrooms etc as well as being a good relief point. You can make the argument for the #11's current terminus.

For ChicaGo Dash, but especially Megabus this terminal makes the city look better by giving their patrons some shelter from the elements. With the terminal being Megabus's Chicago hub they would be a good generator for the bus routes served as well as the nearby Blue Line and Loop Elevated.

Overall I think it is a good idea for whenever CTA/RTA gets funding. What do you think?

I thought that the RTA was already working on it. At least it was announced that they were providing signs for intermodal transfers at the location (Daily Herald story).

Of course, if you are talking about having to buy land for a bus terminal, it is very expensive at that location. I think that the reason most buses end at Harrison-Wells is to have a free layover point outside the immediate Loop area (although others can say if there is any other reason for it).

I can see that Megabus has a problem in not having a terminal, but it seems too cheap to pay rental to one. I guess Greyhound still has come connections with CTA, but, at this point, I would think tenants would have to chip in.

As far as buses from Indiana, I'm sure the deal is similar to Pace 855 and former 835 (the justification for keeping it running after the Metra Southwest Service was expanded), i.e. you need a stop near the financial district, but most of the riders want to go to Michigan Ave. So, this might be a stop, but can't be the end of the line.

Hello all,

For my first post here, I want to share an idea that I just mailed to CTA planning. It's not a new idea, it's been kicked around for years, and that is a bus terminal/ staging area in the open area on the west side of Metra LaSalle Street Station. I believe it is time to put some or all of that space to use for transit. Pending on how the space is used, the terminal can be comparable to the bus areas at 79th/Western or 79th/Halsted. The routes/services I am proposing for this facility are the following.

#11 Lincoln/Sedgwick

#22 Clark

#36 Broadway

#132 Goose Island Express

#145 Wilson/Michigan Express [* not #148]

ChicaGo Dash buses to/from Valparaiso, Indiana

All Megabus service currently staged at Union Station

Free Enterprise shuttle to Northwestern University

For the #22,#36 and #145 the terminal would take multiple buses off of south loop corners and into a bus facility where drivers can have access to restrooms etc as well as being a good relief point. You can make the argument for the #11's current terminus.

For ChicaGo Dash, but especially Megabus this terminal makes the city look better by giving their patrons some shelter from the elements. With the terminal being Megabus's Chicago hub they would be a good generator for the bus routes served as well as the nearby Blue Line and Loop Elevated.

Overall I think it is a good idea for whenever CTA/RTA gets funding. What do you think?

A new am/pm rush period Pace Express route to/from Schaumburg or Rosemont would also be a nice idea to this terminal given the close proximity to the Eisenhower/Kennedy Expy. for suburbanites who dont have immediate access to the CTA Blue Line or Metra commuter rail as well as reverse commuters who live in the large residential south loop area.

A new am/pm rush period Pace Express route to/from Schaumburg or Rosemont would also be a nice idea to this terminal given the close proximity to the Eisenhower/Kennedy Expy. for suburbanites who dont have immediate access to the CTA Blue Line or Metra commuter rail as well as reverse commuters who live in the large residential south loop area.

I have to say certainly no to this idea. The Kennedy Expressway is clogged, and Schaumburg people have direct access via 600 or 606, and Rosemont people right at the station. I also have the feeling that there are still more jobs in Schaumburg than downtown, at least for those who live in Schaumburg.

Besides that, except for legislatively mandated 755 and 855, Pace has pretty much got out of the downtown express business, saying it is not worth the cost.

Talk about bad timing!!! I took the Rock Island train in to work this morning, and yes as some posters have said, there is a new bus terminal being built. I completely didn't know about it. I missed the news when it was announced. So much for the letter to CTA. Anyways I apologize for not doing my homework on my first forum discussion. I do thank everyone for posting. I didn't expect this post to be popular. Once again, sorry and thanks for replying.

Talk about bad timing!!! I took the Rock Island train in to work this morning, and yes as some posters have said, there is a new bus terminal being built. I completely didn't know about it. I missed the news when it was announced. So much for the letter to CTA. Anyways I apologize for not doing my homework on my first forum discussion. I do thank everyone for posting. I didn't expect this post to be popular. Once again, sorry and thanks for replying.

Wow. I seldom visit that area, so I didn't know of any bus terminal getting put up. Is the entrance to the terminal located on Van Buren?

This is good news. Perhaps my proposed Clybourn route can end here instead of Chicago/State.

• Upvote 1