Emergency Transfer Card

Guest DevalDragon

Guest DevalDragon

I found an Emergency Transfer card on the Belmont Bus today - I was quite surprised to see it was made of paper! Who issues these, and under what circumstances? I've never seen one before.

The Driver. Usually if a bus breaks down or has to end a run mid-route.

A CTA Emergency Transfer Card may be issued under the following conditions:

1- A bus or equipment breaks down and forces the customer to make an unexpected transfer.

2- A customer boards the wrong bus or equipment through no fault of their own.

3- A customer is delayed or misses a connection due to excessive delays at which the CTA is at fault.

There are other conditions in CTA standard operating proceedures that it can be issued too.

What I have always been wondering myself, and cannot seem to answer, is how CTA can issue an emergency transfer that is valid on both CTA and Pace, but Pace cannot do the same. Note I did not say SELL a transfer, as that would be redundant now.

What I have always been wondering myself, and cannot seem to answer, is how CTA can issue an emergency transfer that is valid on both CTA and Pace, but Pace cannot do the same. Note I did not say SELL a transfer, as that would be redundant now.

As far as CTA, the emergency transfer goes back to CSL times (while there were transfers, a regular transfer punched in the E box), but obviously since CTA now doesn't sell transfers it has to do something else.

With Pace there are two questions (1) whatever interchange deal it has with CTA, and (2) even whether Pace issues emergency transfers. While Pace is now issuing transfer cards (printed with Pace Only), on most routes, an emergency transfer wouldn't do much good, because the next bus generally would be in an hour, and they may as well send a spare. Having an emergency transfer to CTA would only seem to work on routes such as 270, 349 and 352.

There are other conditions in CTA standard operating proceedures that it can be issued too.

Yes. I got one on route 91 Austin in the summer of 2009. I got on a Flxible at Jefferson Park, which left at 11:48 A.M. (or somewhere around that time) and by the time we got to Austin and Lawrence, the bus driver told everyone to get off because he read his schedule wrong and that he was actually suppose to leave Jefferson Park an hour later at 12:48 P.M., so he's gonna head back to Jeff Park. He didn't hand out any emergency transfers at first, but all of us started to argue and he gave in, which was the right thing to do in that circumstance.

Yes. I got one on route 91 Austin in the summer of 2009. I got on a Flxible at Jefferson Park, which left at 11:48 A.M. (or somewhere around that time) and by the time we got to Austin and Lawrence, the bus driver told everyone to get off because he read his schedule wrong and that he was actually suppose to leave Jefferson Park an hour later at 12:48 A.M., so he's gonna head back to Jeff Park. He didn't hand out any emergency transfers at first, but all of us started to argue and he gave in, which was the right thing to do in that circumstance.

The driver wasant paying attention to his duties, so because of a mistake on his part he has no platform to argue with the bus passengers. He should have passed out "Emergency Transfers" to everyone one of his passengers without any argument. What I dont understand sometimes is how some CTA bus drivers will argue with a passenger after making a mistake. They dont seem to want to just "suck it up", swallow their pride and just acknowledge that they made a mistake in their duties and comes at an inconvenience to the passengers. Absolutely no customer service skills at all!

• 3 months later...

The driver wasant paying attention to his duties, so because of a mistake on his part he has no platform to argue with the bus passengers. He should have passed out "Emergency Transfers" to everyone one of his passengers without any argument. What I dont understand sometimes is how some CTA bus drivers will argue with a passenger after making a mistake. They dont seem to want to just "suck it up", swallow their pride and just acknowledge that they made a mistake in their duties and comes at an inconvenience to the passengers. Absolutely no customer service skills at all!

5750, you know just as well as I do from experience that some of our peers just don't give a sh$t.