UP-W extension.

MetroShadow

Is there any word from Metra or Kane County about the opening of the UP-W extension to Elburn next year? I saw a caravan of Metra Locomotives outside the Chicago Avenue barnyard today, and I'm wondering if it has to do with the moving of equipment to the new barnyard in Elburn?

I am not sure what Chicago avenue you are speaking of, but I will assume that you are speaking of the Western avenue yard at Chicago and Grand (or thereabouts). You will always see locomotives there as they are serviced there Monday thru Friday. Currently the old semi-retired 611 and 614 are out in the yard. The locomotives for the UP lines are serviced at their shop around Kostner and Kinzie.

The Trib mentions the new stations on the North Central. I think the only one that might be done before the end of January would be Grayslake. No way for the others mentioned. No platform lights, parking or in some cases platforms are near completion.