SamTrans Bus commercial

LOL I see the real ones daily,Since I now live in the SF bay area cool.gif This week's 70+ weather in the bay area is good for bus riding tongue.gif And the PCC's on Market St !!!

:A small update:Samtrans is rehabbing their '02 NABI 436 60FT buse's they are being redone in new SamTrans paint and Alcoa wheels smile.gif Now they look more modern then the previous old paint scheme what made me think that they were early-mid 90's buses blink.gif

LOL I see the real ones daily,Since I now live in the SF bay area cool.gif This week's 70+ weather in the bay area is good for bus riding tongue.gif And the PCC's on Market St !!!

:A small update:Samtrans is rehabbing their '02 NABI 436 60FT buse's they are being redone in new SamTrans paint and Alcoa wheels smile.gif Now they look more modern then the previous old paint scheme what made me think that they were early-mid 90's buses blink.gif

Back in the 90s I spent quite a bit of time around the Bay area, rode BART, AC Transit and Muni. I made a couple trips to SFO airport via SamTrans buses. At the time I remember they had AM General, Flyers/HF Artics and Gillig Phantoms. Can you post pics of the rehabbed SamTrans buses?

Back in the 90s I spent quite a bit of time around the Bay area, rode BART, AC Transit and Muni. I made a couple trips to SFO airport via SamTrans buses. At the time I remember they had AM General, Flyers/HF Artics and Gillig Phantoms. Can you post pics of the rehabbed SamTrans buses?

Here are some I found online. The 1993/1998 Phantoms are still around (I'm in GILLIG country) Being replaced by new GILLIG BRT buses.The AM GENERAL and Flyer buses are long gone :-( But last week I did run into a old Samtrans AM general EQ-2 bus all white,It got of the 101 in San Bruno and boy was she blowing allot of black soot from her "Stack" lol,But I could tell the driver was having fun with her :-)

Enjoy !!!

4846789840_fe8999670a_z.jpg

5149886017_7fbf1c84c2_b.jpg5150494698_edaf2f546d_z.jpg

2002 Nabi 436 samTrans 134

2010 GILLIG 30FT

4305004892_ac2a885482_z.jpg?zz=1

5373120814_5c64ebee92_b.jpg

• 5150494698_edaf2f546d_b.jpg

5271817781_60d6343778_b.jpg

Here are some I found online. The 1993/1998 Phantoms are still around (I'm in GILLIG country) Being replaced by new GILLIG BRT buses.The AM GENERAL and Flyer buses are long gone :-( But last week I did run into a old Samtrans AM general EQ-2 bus all white,It got of the 101 in San Bruno and boy was she blowing allot of black soot from her "Stack" lol,But I could tell the driver was having fun with her :-)

Enjoy !!!

4846789840_fe8999670a_z.jpg

5149886017_7fbf1c84c2_b.jpg5150494698_edaf2f546d_z.jpg

2002 Nabi 436 samTrans 134

2010 GILLIG 30FT

4305004892_ac2a885482_z.jpg?zz=1

5373120814_5c64ebee92_b.jpg

• 5150494698_edaf2f546d_b.jpg

5271817781_60d6343778_b.jpg

I have a question about the high floor artics:

Does using the lift take much longer than lowering a low floor and using a ramp?

Gene King

Nice pics Chitown! I like the new SamTrans look. The NABI 460 look really good in the new scheme. Thanks for posting.

No problem I know I'm privileged to live in this area as a transit fan,So I don't mind sharing smile.gif

And yes the new SAMTRANS paint scheme gives it a more updated "fresh" look.I will miss the old scheme since i grew up with those when i was younger but times are'a changing :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a good compilation of SFO Bay Area transit buses. Most of the companies that operate buses in the San Francisco Bay area are represented. Pretty cool! Watch!

http://www.youtube.c...yer_profilepage

Cool video,Believe it or not GOLDEN GATE TRANSIT still runs Nova RTS buses and A/C TRANSIT runs 1 or 2 '92 Flexible Mextro's on a express route,I saw one last week still in service !!!!! This area has the most diverse transit system I have ever seen !!

• 2 weeks later...

Cool video,Believe it or not GOLDEN GATE TRANSIT still runs Nova RTS buses and A/C TRANSIT runs 1 or 2 '92 Flexible Mextro's on a express route,I saw one last week still in service !!!!! This area has the most diverse transit system I have ever seen !!

Hi all,

I stumbled on this thread while searching for old samtrans pictures last night and so I decided to join the forum. I worked at Samtrans for 13 years in the Maint Department. I spent the last 7 years there as the "bus procurement guy", so I'm very intimate with Samtran's NABIs, Gillig Phantoms and older low floors.

Interesting though that the '92 Flxible Metros that AC Transit still operates were mention here. Those were originally Dumbarton Express buses. Samtrans held title to them since new, but they were never used in revenue service at Samtrans. Samtrans procured them for the DB Express Consortium. AC Transit took over the DB Express in '02-'03 from First Transit. The titles were then transfered to AC. I hand delivered the titles to the AC Transit Admin office.

AC Transit wanted to replace those Flxibles immediately, but I'm sure it was a comment that I made during a DB Consortium meeting that kept them on the road. The Flxibles had just recently been repowered with the Cummins ISM using a FTA grant that Samtrans applied for. I was the project manager for that repower project. When one of the AC guys at the meeting stated the buses would be retired soon, I mentioned that Samtrans agreed to extend the life of the buses when it accepted the FTA repower grant. FTA representatives were also at that meeting and agreed that the buses had to be operated at least 5 years. That's why those Metros are still in service.