Night Danger

On my way to work this morning around 3am travelling inbound on the Kennedy, as I rounded the Nagle curve, I could see that the signals in the old Jeff Park yard were green, indicating a train was on the approach. I though it odd, since I did not pass a train since I entered the expressway (off the tollway). As I went under Austin, I noticed that the signals went from green to red. Again, I thought it odd, but maybe there was some kind of test going on. As I got closer, about Central, much to my surprise, there was a train IN SERVICE entering the Jeff Park tunnel (Milwaukee Ave Overpass) with no rear markers at all on. The train was totally invisible until I was less than a 1/4 mile away. I realize at that time of morning, the likelihood of something coming up from the rear and hitting this train was very remote, with intervals 20-30 minutes. However, it was a dangerous situation. The scariest part of the exercise was when I made an attempt to contact the CTA rail center via phone information, all I got was the RTA travel center, which of course put you on hold for however long. It is the railroader in me to attempt to notify someone of something when I see it, but it is real frustrating when there is no one to call and no way to get into contact with anyone. I am sure that train made it all the way to Forest Park in rear end stealth mode...thankfully with no negative results !!

On my way to work this morning around 3am travelling inbound on the Kennedy, as I rounded the Nagle curve, I could see that the signals in the old Jeff Park yard were green, indicating a train was on the approach. I though it odd, since I did not pass a train since I entered the expressway (off the tollway). As I went under Austin, I noticed that the signals went from green to red. Again, I thought it odd, but maybe there was some kind of test going on. As I got closer, about Central, much to my surprise, there was a train IN SERVICE entering the Jeff Park tunnel (Milwaukee Ave Overpass) with no rear markers at all on. The train was totally invisible until I was less than a 1/4 mile away. I realize at that time of morning, the likelihood of something coming up from the rear and hitting this train was very remote, with intervals 20-30 minutes. However, it was a dangerous situation. The scariest part of the exercise was when I made an attempt to contact the CTA rail center via phone information, all I got was the RTA travel center, which of course put you on hold for however long. It is the railroader in me to attempt to notify someone of something when I see it, but it is real frustrating when there is no one to call and no way to get into contact with anyone. I am sure that train made it all the way to Forest Park in rear end stealth mode...thankfully with no negative results !!

Just the other night I spotted a CTA work train on the OHare line IB at Harlem. I always find them fascinating seeing several railcars with a flatcar carrying equipment. I remember seeing those with the 6000s. Definitely something I plan to model on my layout, Pretty cool!

A response I made elsewhere reminded me that in such cases, I didn't try to use customer service, which is worthless in any event, but asked for someone in charge, which would be the rail controller on the Blue Line. I don't know if the main CTA operator would have put that through, but that seems like the better course. (Your post indicates that the main operator might have misdirected the call.)

In that the cars have cab signals, and you noted the block signals apparently working properly, I doubt that there was a real danger. However, you have said that you work on the Metra Electric, and there was, of course, the IC crash at 27th (sources say in 1972), which essentially resulted from similar conditions.

A response I made elsewhere reminded me that in such cases, I didn't try to use customer service, which is worthless in any event, but asked for someone in charge, which would be the rail controller on the Blue Line. I don't know if the main CTA operator would have put that through, but that seems like the better course. (Your post indicates that the main operator might have misdirected the call.)

In that the cars have cab signals, and you noted the block signals apparently working properly, I doubt that there was a real danger. However, you have said that you work on the Metra Electric, and there was, of course, the IC crash at 27th (sources say in 1972), which essentially resulted from similar conditions.

Unfortunately, I was cruising on the Kennedy, so at that point all I had was a 411 option. They had put me through to the RTA. I was put on hold and I immediately gave up. I have reported some things regarding buses in the past through the CTA complaint line and was assured that those issues were going to be followed thru. In this case, I didn't have that number handy, so I was stuck with what I got. It is a shame that everything gets instantly routed through to the RTA without regard to the situation...and in most cases, they get it inaccurate when giving out info. I realize that the risk, really, was minimal, but it was still a risk.

As for the IC crash, that was in fact in October of 1972 at 27th street. A train overshot the platform and went through a signal block then made a reverse move as the following train cleared the previous signal. Even though the collision was at 15 MPH or so, the older train telescoped into the newer highliner and cut through it to the center vestibule doors. 45 people lost their lives in that accident, most in the car that got hit. NTSB reports faulted the crew of the lead train of making the reverse move without proper rear end protection. Also, it was determined that a number of crews in those days did not understand the rules and management had failed to do system checks as well. Also, anti-telescoping equipment was not installed on the train that got hit as it was suppose to be. Lots of blame to go around on that one.

Last Saturday night, (which would be close to the time Trainman reported this), there was a single track in effect from the diamond crossover south of Jeff Pk. to Foster. Trains were using the SB tracks in both directions. Nb's would proceed to the middle track at Central and cross over to the NB track at Foster. This started around 9 PM that night. It might have been possible what you saw was a work/test train in that area.

The train in question was definitely in service. There were people on it and there

was proper sineage to the front. It most certainly was an oversight by the operator

when leaving O'Hare...unless there was a mechanical defect. Also, if there is a single

track, I have noticed that a train operating in the opposite direction on the portion

of single track will have both reds and whites on in the front.