"Decaying Chicago Transit Infrastructure"

Amtrak41

Could be, but they supposedly upgraded the stations, too. Some got elevators, some didn't. Most got paint jobs, but are rusted already.

Anyway, the current slow zone map has 39% of the Dan Ryan in slow zones, and they look like red (track) ones.

Also, for sam92's benefit, the first slow zone map posted (July 2005) only shows red (track) slow zones, too, not gray power ones. So sam, what you say still doesn't square with the CTA.

I can say that with my own two eyes and having to ride the dan ryan throughout the whole project that the project was focused on power and signals. The only trackwork that was done was the crossovers and maybe the slow zones from cermak to 47th but that was it. You can check chicago-l.org for more info as well

I remember those days (or actually mostly nights). CTA touted it as eliminating slow zones firstly, improving stations secondly, and upgrading signals and substations ( 87th and 47th were two of those mentioned). Signals were installed all along the line when none existed before. The left lane of the Ryan would be moved and/or shut down because they built temporary tracks which came out on the expressway while ties were removed and replaced. Looking at the Chicago-L.org website, there was nothing referencing any rail relacement on the Dan Ryan Rehabilitation Project other than the third rail.