Route #54A: Cicero to Skokie Courthouse

sw4400

Question about this route... Does Forest Glen still run this route?  I took a #80 Irving Park bus going west today and at the #54A turnaround next to I-90, I saw a NOVABus in there and a Flxible Metro.  Now I know Flxibles are common at Forest Glen, but this bus was #5414!!! As far as I know, Forest Glen only has 6000 Series Flxibles, not 5300 Series Flxibles.  If anyone can shed some light on what I'd saw today, I'd appreciate it!!!

-sw4400

As far as I know, 53(Pulaski) does not have short runs stop at that bus turnaround.  That turnaround has always been for the #54A Bus.  Now 5414 didn't appear to be running as the brake/running lights in the back were not lit up(I saw the bus from the rear, not the front).  If the bus was broke down(which is a possibility, but the engine cover was not up), why would the CTA take it from the #53 route and place it in that small turnaround area rather than take it back to Chicago Garage?

Usually a 53 would go all the way to Peterson, unless the route is:

(1) either so far behind on schedule that it was forced to turn around at Irving Park, instead of having the route stop and then use side streets to turn around. Irving Park would be considered in the case where you can turn off and turn right back around.

(2) the bus has some kind of defect and needed to be fixed. Since Pulaski is a 2-way street (logistically), and may or may not be suspect to traffic problems, they may not be able to have a bus park on the side and expect traffic to flow.

(3) its a 54A or an X98 just sitting there. The only argument to refute that is that X98 is run from North Park I think since they use the 7500's only. And unless FG recieved some 5300's, that may explain why its on 54A.

(4) [stupid theory] If I'm not mistaken, 53 buses short turn on owl service...but the question is do they terminate around Avondale, or go back to Irving and use that terminal.

Usually a 53 would go all the way to Peterson, unless the route is:

(1)  either so far behind on schedule that it was forced to turn around at Irving Park, instead of having the route stop and then use side streets to turn around. Irving Park would be considered in the case where you can turn off and turn right back around.

(2) the bus has some kind of defect and needed to be fixed. Since Pulaski is a 2-way street (logistically), and may or may not be suspect to traffic problems, they may not be able to have a bus park on the side and expect traffic to flow.

(3) its a 54A or an X98 just sitting there. The only argument to refute that is that X98 is run from North Park I think since they use the 7500's only. And unless FG recieved some 5300's, that may explain why its on 54A.

(4) [stupid theory] If I'm not mistaken, 53 buses short turn on owl service...but the question is do they terminate around Avondale, or go back to Irving and use that terminal.

This was during the day, so I don't think it's a Owl Bus.  As far as it being too broke down to be taken to Chicago Garage, Buslover, I doubt that as a CTA Wrecker(Tow Truck) could've just hauled it there.