Wye locations back in the day

Seeing that this is under "everything else", and I am not familiar with old wye locations, are we talking CTA "L" trackage, or actual railroading?

Waukegan, at least at one point, had a wye. I want to say the EJ&E still has it, but I don't know for certain.

On that note, there is a small locomotive turntable just south of the Waukegan Metra station. I assume it was for turning around commuter steam? Looks big enough for a 2-8-0 or 4-6-0, and not much more.

I remember 2 WYE locations Central Ave and Hutchinson and Central ave. and West End. Does anyone have any other locations that you remember.

Before the turnaround was constructed, #90 Harlem buses wye backed at Touhy/Overhill.

Seeing that this is under "everything else", and I am not familiar with old wye locations, are we talking CTA "L" trackage, or actual railroading?

Most of what is being considered is trolley bus wyes (back in and pull out, or vice versa), although CTA 5750 mentioned a gas/diesel bus one. Also, most of them were for short turns. I don't recall any, but Lind's book mentions them with respect to various bus lines. Obviously, turnarounds were the more usual solution at the end of the line.

Most of what is being considered is trolley bus wyes (back in and pull out, or vice versa), although CTA 5750 mentioned a gas/diesel bus one. Also, most of them were for short turns. I don't recall any, but Lind's book mentions them with respect to various bus lines. Obviously, turnarounds were the more usual solution at the end of the line.

If you can get a handle on an old CTA bus operator route training guide, depending on garage, it will show where a wyeback was.

Waukegan, at least at one point, had a wye. I want to say the EJ&E still has it, but I don't know for certain.

On that note, there is a small locomotive turntable just south of the Waukegan Metra station. I assume it was for turning around commuter steam? Looks big enough for a 2-8-0 or 4-6-0, and not much more.

Back in the day when Marmon-Herrington trolley buses operated

Getting back to Lind, the one notable streetcar one was at the end of the Wentworth line at 81-Halsted, because the PCCs were single end. Cars would turn at Halsted, and then back up over 81st. Most double end cars just went in the other direction at a crossover.

I remember 2 WYE locations Central Ave and Hutchinson and Central ave. and West End. Does anyone have any other locations that you remember.

I grew up in Portage Park near the corner of Montrose & Marmora. I remember that wye at Central & Hutchinson. I used to see it when my folks took me to Portage Park. I remember the Orthodox church nearby, Tommy's Steer & Stein (later Nancy's Pizza, then Superossa), Hough Funeral Home (later Harrington's Catering), Ronsam's Certified Foods, etc, all around there.

Here's something from Forgotten Chicago that's kinda-sorta related http://forgottenchic...ed-turnarounds/

Checking the link reminded me that I had seen that before, but, as was discussed at least here, most of the streetcar-trolley bus turnarounds still survive, and that site has the comparatively few that didn't. Of course, the one at 94-Cottage was briefly resurrected for a while when the bus couldn't enter the grounds of Chicago State; apparently that has been resolved.

• 6 months later...

According to a Chicago overhead map from January 1957, there were trolley coach wyes at the following locations:

Lawrence – Linder

Lawrence – LeClaire

Lawrence – Seeley

Montrose – Tripp

Montrose – Wolcott

Irving Park – Mango

Irving Park – Marshfield

Belmont – Nagle

Belmont – Oakley

Belmont – Southport

Fullerton – Lamon

Fullerton – Seeley

Fullerton – Janssen

Armitage – Kolmar

Armitage – Racine

Grand – Artesian

Grand – Union

North – Throop

Chicago – Mayfield

Chicago – Lorel

Chicago – Carpenter

Chicago – Hudson

Roosevelt – 50th Court

Roosevelt – Karlov

Roosevelt – Throop

Roosevet – Clinton

47th – Mozart

47th – Normal

47th – Shields

47th – Evans

51st – St. Louis (End of line)

51st – Hoyne

51st – Wells

55th – Maryland

Narragansett – Cuyler (End of line – out of service in1957)

Central – Hutchinson

Central – Luna

Central – West End

Cicero – Waveland

Cicero – Arthington

Pulaski – Cornelia

Pulaski – 15th

California – George

Elston – Milwaukee (Endof line – out of service in 1957)