CTA UNDISCOVERED BROCHURES

I was wondering where can i find the following Chicago Transit Authority brochures in Chicago? : Night Owl Brochure, Evanston, Skokie, Wilmette Transit Guide and Green Line Brochure. I was also wondering if the CTA continues to make the Orange Line and Blue Line Airport Brochures?

CTA EVANSTON SKOKIE WILMETTE TRANSIT GUIDE.pdf

CTA GREEN LINE BROCHURE.pdf

CTA NIGHTOWL BROCHURE.pdf

I was wondering where can i find the following Chicago Transit Authority brochures in Chicago? : Night Owl Brochure, Evanston, Skokie, Wilmette Transit Guide and Green Line Brochure. I was also wondering if the CTA continues to make the Orange Line and Blue Line Airport Brochures?

Brochures of the type you indicate usually were tacked on bulletin boards behind glass doors where various notices were posted at the L station involved, rather than in a literature rack.

The CTA Brochures Page says

You can get any of our maps and brochures at both airports at the information booths, at our train stations and City of Chicago information booths at the Chicago Cultural Center and the Historic Water Tower. Or, call Customer Service.

The Cultural Center is on Michigan Ave. between Washington and Randolph, and the Water Tower is on Michigan Ave. north of Chicago Ave. I doubt that Customer Service is going to mail any to Milwaukee.

Brochures of the type you indicate usually were tacked on bulletin boards behind glass doors where various notices were posted at the L station involved, rather than in a literature rack.

The CTA Brochures Page says

The Cultural Center is on Michigan Ave. between Washington and Randolph, and the Water Tower is on Michigan Ave. north of Chicago Ave. I doubt that Customer Service is going to mail any to Milwaukee.

ok ill go there during my trip to chicago on february 6th and see if i can find them there. they used too but im guessing that new management has set limits on which material they can send out. thank you. AND please continue with the suggestions people on where to find these hidden treasures from the CTA

Does CTA still publish/distribute individual bus route timetables at all? I assume not but the downloadable PDFs are in a proper timetable format for publishing, not the usual "printer friendly" format agencies use when they want folks to print their own schedules.

They do turn up occasionally, such as on the bulletin boards I described before. For instance, shopping centers like Old Orchard used to have a custom printed chart of bus routes that served them, but both CTA and Pace replaced them with printed timetables in the glass display case, since there was no way of keeping the chart current.

People may have better knowledge than I, but I don't believe that CTA goes to the extent that Pace does. Pace has schedule racks with printed schedules on the buses, at shopping centers, in the transit centers, and at its HQ. When I attended a Pace board meeting, one of the citizen speakers said that one route's printed schedules were obsolete, but the receptionist said that there was nothing she could do about it.

ok ill go there during my trip to chicago on february 6th and see if i can find them there. they used too but im guessing that new management has set limits on which material they can send out. thank you. AND please continue with the suggestions people on where to find these hidden treasures from the CTA

At one time there was the Chicago Store in the Water Tower or across from it in the Water Works. I don't see any current web reference to it, but the City's site says that there is a shop in the Cultural Center. I'm sure others can provide more detail.

Does CTA still publish/distribute individual bus route timetables at all? I assume not but the downloadable PDFs are in a proper timetable format for publishing, not the usual "printer friendly" format agencies use when they want folks to print their own schedules.

yes they do but only by request through transitchicago.com. i would think they would have cta brochure racks at popular locations detailing all bus and rail routes, the cta bus and rail map and brochures catered to that racks region, this makes cta very unfriendly and i would think it would violate the ada of 1990 law in some way. the cta rail stations only have rail line timetables, the bus and rail map and rail related brochures. milwaukee on the other hand has brochure racks throughout milwaukee county featuring all routes, brochures, making transit information easy to access and making transit very friendly.

yes they do but only by request through transitchicago.com. i would think they would have cta brochure racks at popular locations detailing all bus and rail routes, the cta bus and rail map and brochures catered to that racks region, this makes cta very unfriendly and i would think it would violate the ada of 1990 law in some way. the cta rail stations only have rail line timetables, the bus and rail map and rail related brochures. milwaukee on the other hand has brochure racks throughout milwaukee county featuring all routes, brochures, making transit information easy to access and making transit very friendly.

Probably not. All bus shelters have maps encapsulated in the plastic, and all L stations have "Transit Information" display cases. People with devices have access to BusTracker, and LED BusTracker displays are being installed in select shelters. Besides that, there is a route description or map on every bus stop sign, as well as a BusTracker id number for each stop.

CTA has never had, as a general practice, signs that only said "Bus Stop" or "Bus Stop [Route number]", although a few generic blue ones were used on occasion.

CTA has never had, as a general practice, signs that only said "Bus Stop" or "Bus Stop [Route number]", although a few generic blue ones were used on occasion.

Actually in the old days, bus stops were quite descriptive, as illustrated below. Sometime in the '80's

the map style signs found their way to street corners. I kind of like the old ones better.

post-17-13276833530816_thumb.jpg

Actually in the old days, bus stops were quite descriptive, as illustrated below. Sometime in the '80's

the map style signs found their way to street corners. I kind of like the old ones better.

post-17-13276833530816_thumb.jpg

I sort of like the map ones better. The main way CTA has deviated from what you depicted is that the multiple route signs used to have a fairly complete description (1 Drexel Hyde Park via South Shore, 67th, Stony Island, 57th, Hyde Park, Drexel, Oakwood, South Park,....to Northwestern Station), while the current convention is just the destination (i.e. 6 Jackson Park Express Northbound to Michigan Wacker).

North Harlem used to have a map sign with lines for 90N and 228, but after Pace taped over 228 with 423, replaced them with the two panel descriptive signs. I'm somewhat surprised that CTA reacted to Pace.

Of course, to get back to CurrentZ's point, the back of any CTA map has the destinations, hours of operation, including between short terminals, and hours when frequency is less than 20 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...