Niles Free Bus Eldorados

BusHunter

I'll have to check it out, but did you notice if it was any different than any other 2600?

Yes, it's different, but all Niles buses seem to have this now. All other #2600's don't have armrests. These metal armrests are on the 2x2 seating in the back half of the bus. What's funny is part of the armrest goes down in an arc shape, so a persons side can not block the aisle. I can't see if there on the accessible seats. (probably not they are not folding armrests) I don't know if this is a Pace pilot project (coming soon to other #2600's) or it's just an extra Niles is springing for.

• 4 months later...

Relating to Niles

Niles free bus may mo longer be free.

http://www.pacebus.c...?Notice_ID=3242

I think I noted about a year ago that Niles was looking to cut the subsidy (also threatening to cut their Family Services) but didn't. This time around, I guess they are, but except for one person I know, 25 cents seems minimal, and then they get into the question (that seemed to be the hangup on charging for the Schaumburg trolley) of who was going to install fareboxes

Maybe the one significant thing is that they propose to cancel 413 on weekends. I guess not that many people using the bus to get to Walmart, Target, the Leaning Tower YMCA, or Jewel in Village Crossing

You'll also note that technically Niles is holding the hearing, not Pace.

The Patch has more background on this. Also click links in that article for more background.

Apparently, this would recoup about10% of Niles's costs under the usual 36% recovery ratio.

An article from the Journal and Topics indicates that Niles intends route changes, but the inference from The Patch is that has to await a decision on the Milwaukee ART.

The Herald-Spectator has a bit more, including a photograph with the wrong caption that a route 270 bus is part of the system. Throw in The Bugle, too.

Given the last paragraph in my preceding post, while I responded earlier that Niles, DG, and HP looked similar, maybe they aren't in that it appears that Niles and DG have control of operation of their system, while the HP restructuring was done by Pace, and hence HP must be more analogous to a contract operator.

BTW, I suppose that someone will have to scrape off the "Free" decals.

The Patch has more background on this. Also click links in that article for more background.

Apparently, this would recoup about10% of Niles's costs under the usual 36% recovery ratio.

An article from the Journal and Topics indicates that Niles intends route changes, but the inference from The Patch is that has to await a decision on the Milwaukee ART.

The Herald-Spectator has a bit more, including a photograph with the wrong caption that a route 270 bus is part of the system. Throw in The Bugle, too.

Given the last paragraph in my preceding post, while I responded earlier that Niles, DG, and HP looked similar, maybe they aren't in that it appears that Niles and DG have control of operation of their system, while the HP restructuring was done by Pace, and hence HP must be more analogous to a contract operator.

BTW, I suppose that someone will have to scrape off the "Free" decals.

I'm surprised Pace reinburst Niles for the cost overages. Now there going to have to pay to have fareboxes installed and someone to count the money on a regular basis. I wonder then will they be accepting CTA/PACE media (passes and transit cards)

I'm surprised Pace reinburst Niles for the cost overages. Now there going to have to pay to have fareboxes installed and someone to count the money on a regular basis. I wonder then will they be accepting CTA/PACE media (passes and transit cards)

I guess it depends on what kind of fare boxes they install. For instance, in DG, there were clear cylindrical devices, not the GFI boxes found on fixed route buses. The same type of boxes were on both the Eldorados and 0002.

With (1) a transfer costing the 25 cents that the fare would be, (2) the only real transfer opportunity would be at Milwaukee-Imlay, which I would restructure out of the system, (3) passengers otherwise using 208 or 270 to connect to CTA, and (4) the money going to Niles, I would bet no.

There probably remains the question (based on The Bugle) how the fares would interact with the Milwaukee ART, in that the Niles bus would be the circulator if 270 is cut back to stopping once every half mile, but the whole question of the ART seems to have been put off.

On the other point, it is somewhat surprising that Pace made up the Niles deficit and took on financial responsibility for DG, while saying there was no need for a fare increase. Apparently it is doing better in the sales tax department than the other service boards.