Quick Question to Bus Repairman.

busfan4022

Not really. We get a lot of mixed information as time goes by. We were supposed to get rid of the ORION buses in January and they were being replaced by a new 35 foot bus. Then we were told to keep the ORIONS till this July. The 5000's are going to b the first buses that are scrapped. When that hapens we dont know. Orders for new buses change, and so do the projected delivery dates. CTA has a long bid/ ordering process they go through. Orders change, plans change, and then as buses are being built CTA usually has a few changes to do to them which they call "retrofits". Minor Improvements to the bus, and mostly safety items being addressed for the riding public.

It's a little strange in the maintenance dept. We work on the buses all day long behind the scenes, drive them all the time, and then the few times a year I ride them as a passenger on the street, its like Im in a whole different world. I find myself sitting on the bus listening to the way the Transmission shifts, the sound of the motor, looking at the lighs to see if they are all working, and watching to see how it handles the bumps and vibrations. I guess it's just the Mechanic in me I cant get out of my system, and from Inspecting the buses on and off for the last 12 years or so, and being responsible for fixing ost of them items.

If I get any information on the new buses coming, I will be sure to post it here.....

There are none at 103rd. From what Im hearing, we are keeping them until the new buses (or TMC's from other garages get sent to us). The Flxibles are now the oldest buses in the system. From what the Manager in work has been saying "we are keeping the Flxibles until they get scrapped". No plans to rehab them. They might have rehabed a few at other garages, but Im hearing they are next on the chopping block. When I get to work tomoorw I will find out if anything has changed.

Bus Repairman: Maybe you can help us with the following.

As discussed in another thread, we don't know why the first 100 or so 5300s, which were originally assigned to 103, went to 77 a couple of years ago, apparently traded for some 6070s and TMCs. As you note, this didn't keep 103 from getting other 1991 Flxs, such as from Forest Glen. Do you know the reason for this swap?

Hmmmm,

WOW ! It's been a while. Exact bus numbers I cant remember. In 1988 when we opened, we had the old 4000's and 7100's from the Vincenes Garage. And the old GM's from Beverly. (7400's I think). We kept them until I believe 1991 or 2 till we got the 5300's and scrapped the old GM's. Then the 4000's started to go. The TMC's from 77th started replacing the 4000's by us. The old 7100's MAN Artics were being replaced by the Seattle Artics, the the Nabi's replaced them. Today re recived work that Archer is getting their new buses so their 5600''s are on their way to 103rd. It's been so much switching around I cant remember all the buses we had. At 1 time we sent our 5300's to 77th for a while, then we got them back.

Sorry I cant be of more detailed help:(

BusJack,

I completly missed your question somehow ! I will find out tomorrow about why the 5300's were sent to 77th and we got their TMC's. Management was never asked as to why, but we were all scratching our heads to. All we remember was that our 5300's were in really good shape, 77th took them from us and sent us their TMC's (which were a little neglected), and then they took them back and gave us the 5300's back.  The only rumor going on was that "77th beat their buses up, took our good ones (5300's), beat them up, then sent them back." I will ask one of the managers tomorrow why they actualy did that. If he tells me the same thing, I wouldnt be surprised :D  

The rehabed flxibles (6000's) We actually only have 1 with the new LED destination sign as a "test" bus t 103rd. Here is our current list of buses as of 3/29/2006

Its a big mix of bus numbers we have

4584 - 4596

4604 4607, 4610 - 4613, 4615 - 4719, 4621-4634, 4637-4682, 4684, 4686,4688,4691,4697 - 4701, 4706, 4707, 4710, 4712,4715,4716,4719,4721,4726,4729,4735,4739,4741,4749,4751,4756,4757,4761 - 4767, 4771, 4780,4781, 4786, 4827 - 4833, 4915 - 4924, 5300 - 5304, 5400 - 5404, 5494 -5502, 5619 - 5644, 5648, 5657, 5658, 6074 - 6097, 7500 - 7549.

Its very confusing right now. I guess we are getting buses from all over as thenew buses are coming into other garages. All garages are supposed to be getting buses due the construction about to go on with the Dan Ryan April 1st. Practice usually is when we get new buses ( usually a few a week) we get rid of the older buses. This time due to the construction, we are told we will eventuallyhave 60 more buses at 103rd. We are getting Archer's buses at this tiem. We currently have 263 buses Assigned to 103rd Garage.

From what I got today we are getting them 5700's. There are 10 of them and i guess they are the "prototype" of the 6000's. They have differnt engine/transmission combinations along with other experiments. Management didnt sound to happy about getting them. The 5300's going back and forth to 77th/103rd........... I think I got the answer. Here it goes...... We originally had 5300 - 5399 brand new. About a year or 2 after that we sent about 20 or 30 5300's to 74th street. 74th street I think got new buses so they sent the 5300's to 77th street. 77th sent us their TMC's when they got some new buses, and we sent them the 5300's so they would have the whole number sequence of 5300's. 77th Street got new buses, so they sent the 5300's back to us.

Whew...... I think I got that right.

Remember there was a lot of switching going on for a while because the TMC's originally didnt have Air Conditioning. As CTA was getting buses with lifts and (or) AC, they tried to keep a fair amount of buses in the system spread out. They didnt want to have only 1 or 2 garages with AC ( and lift) buses.

We have 2 or 3 ORIONS that are outside behind the building that we use for parts. (Not many parts left on them). Hmmm, Im not sure what the process would be for having a visitor on the property. When an employee gets a visitor on the property the visitor stops in the Maint. office and they usually call us to the office. We usually dont walk around the garage with them. Im not sure who or how you could go about taking a "tour" of the garage. You would have to call the garage and ask them how you could go about doing it.

Truthfully.....

I dont think they were on any "specific" route. I was a bus servicer years back that did schedule at 103rd. Back then there were just 3 types of buses called for on the street. An operator reported for his/her run and the run number listed just said "lift", "non- lift", or "artic". (for jeffery runs. Since all our buses have been lift equipped for a while now, the runs are either for "NABI", or just a regular bus. (short bus). When I was doing schedule, when an operator came to pull a bus out on say run 112, I would give him bus 5300, they sometimes would ask "can I have a TMC instead, I like them better"? I would give them a TMC bus to pull out. Long buses had to go on the runs that required long buses. Im alomost positive that when we got the 6000's they were not asigned to any specific street or run. Especially around 7 - 8am when we have bus Operators reporting to pull out and we are "cramming" to get buses "up front" to them to be on the street on time. I will take a look at the schedule sheets when I get back to work monday and see if the buses are assigned any different then they used to be, and I will let you know for sure..........

An operator reported for his/her run and the run number listed just said "lift", "non- lift", or "artic". (for jeffery runs. Since all our buses have been lift equipped for a while now, the runs are either for "NABI", or just a regular bus. (short bus).    

Statement,

Uhm, not really. NABI's really run a certain time of day on that route. More likely they will be running on Tuesday-Friday.On Saturdays- Mondays they hardly run on the route. Short buses like TMC and Flxbles,(mostly TMC)ride along #15 and #14,am i right? Quick Question....which routes are connected with your garage?

We originally had 5300 - 5399 brand new. About a year or 2 after that we sent about 20 or 30 5300's to 74th street. 74th street I think got new buses so they sent the 5300's to 77th street. ... Remember there was a lot of switching going on for a while because the TMC's originally didnt have Air Conditioning. As CTA was getting buses with lifts and (or) AC, they tried to keep a fair amount of buses in the system spread out. They didnt want to have only 1 or 2 garages with AC ( and lift) buses.

Bill V. lists some buses swapped between 77 and FG for this reason. Apparently, 77 got some 5500s for some 4700s, and then when 77 got the 6000s, gave the 5500s back.

I didn't know about swaps between 74 and 103. Again Bill has 74 opening in 1995, so if indoor storage was a concern, couldn't have been at 69 much before that. None of 74's runs became listed as accessible until late 1995, but a swap of 20 buses wouldn't have made much of a difference in that regard. In September 1995, most of the buses at Midway on 74 routes (55, 59, 63) were 700s (from South Suburban), 9000s, and 4000s. A couple of months later, they were 4500s and 6200s. However, since the summer of 1995 was when it was 105 degrees, some reallocation of air conditioned buses was inevitable.

Hi All;

Maybe the Bus Repairman can shed light on this one -

Thursday evening (3/30/06) sometime between 6:40 and 7:15 pm I saw a Flxible on Fullerton westbound at the "L" station. I was on the last Purple line to the Loop and noticed the center brake light was a flashing sign that said "STOP". I couldn't tell if the bus was a 5300 or 6000. Additionally, I couldn't tell if it was a #74 or #11. Did CTA receive buses with "STOP" lights from the factory or was that done in one of the shops?