Americana Question

MetroShadow

I wanted to inquire: Did any of the Americana buses (the 4000 MAN Series) have the automated bus announcements on the buses? I sense not because they were beginning to retire those within 3-4 years of installing them, and every bus made after '91 had them installed.

Odds are that they didn't.

At the time the installations were announced, they also said that the 5300s were not getting the equipment, because they were soon to be retired, but that decision changed when they weren't. That conversion seemed cheaper, in that they eventually got a large round speaker on the front of the bus.

They definitely didn't. If I remember correctly, at the time the systems were being installed the Flyer D901s were just about gone or already gone, and the Americanas themselves were gone from south side routes as 103rd and 74th transferred what they had up to Forest Glen and North Park and were in the midst of their decline at Kedzie. From the sound of what I'm remembering they were probably already at less than 200 Americanas at the time the announcement system was being installed in buses.