Train Tracker sign installation

BusHunter

Strange I didn't see the asterisk before. I think they put that in to let customers know that it's not live. Why would Foster/purple line not be live? ...

Like I said, it was on the web version, and in the case of Foster, it probably isn't far enough from the terminal to make a difference unless the train is stalled at Central or Noyes.

Linden clearly shows scheduled, and doesn't even have a run number:

post-14-0-77924000-1366170130_thumb.jpg

Noyes now is as I expected it, although a couple of minutes ago to Linden was also asterisked.

post-14-0-07433300-1366170164_thumb.jpg

I think I earlier mentioned that the only station with possibly a real time on the Yellow Line was Oakton, and I saw it all messed up.

• 2 weeks later...

Well they installed the new train tracker signs (brackets only no signs yet) in the last week on the entire Red line from Cermak-Chinatown south. They even installed them at 47th and 35th and those stops have Titan signs already. I don't know if they plan on having both sign types there or they intend on taking the Titan signs down. Weird also is the fact that certain Dan Ryan stations are going to be made handicapped accessible which would mean they would be rehabbed. So what is the point in putting up signs that will not be used in 18 days. :huh:

Well they installed the new train tracker signs (brackets only no signs yet) in the last week on the entire Red line from Cermak-Chinatown south. They even installed them at 47th and 35th and those stops have Titan signs already. I don't know if they plan on having both sign types there or they intend on taking the Titan signs down. Weird also is the fact that certain Dan Ryan stations are going to be made handicapped accessible which would mean they would be rehabbed. So what is the point in putting up signs that will not be used in 18 days. :huh:

Sounds like someone had a contract for only the brackets.

Does seem strange to be putting the emphasis there when it is going to be shut down. They otherwise would have had 5 months.

• 2 weeks later...

In the last week a Global Displays Solution sign has been installed in all the kennedy stations on the Blue line. (Rosemont to Addison with the exception of Jeff pk.) All of which are close to the CA booth or in the fare payment areas. So you can now track trains in all those stations. Still nothing at O'Hare though.

.... Still nothing at O'Hare though.

The question though, as raised with regard to other terminals, is whether it accomplishes anything. I assume that the signs saying that the next train is on Track 1, 2, or 3 are still there, and unless the train is so late that it can't make its recovery time, is going to depart on schedule.

• 5 weeks later...

In case you haven't noticed, CTA has installed Titan signs at most of the 7 rehab stations (not Lawrence) mezzanine on the north red line main. These signs give Bustracker info as well as Train Tracker info like the mezzanine signs at Belmont/Red line. Those signs are nice for people waiting for the bus at train stations. I wonder why they just didn't put signs like that at all "L" station mezzanines or entrances. They could have easily removed some Titan signs off existing stations and made those mezzanine signs. That's where majority of the bus ridership is, at the "L" stations and in the loop.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is great the CTA has installed these signs, but they way it displays information makes it hard for riders to know which train is the next one. The signs only show 2 trains at a time, however they aren't numbered or anything, so if you glance at the sign and see one train coming in 10 mins & one in 14 mins, there might be a group of 2 trains before that, at say 3 mins & 8 mins. They should number the lines so you know if its the 3rd & 4th train, etc.

This is especially bad at the stations where the signs are in the station houses, such as Diversey. If you are walking in, you might see a screen like I describe above, and not know that trains are coming quicker, so you might take your time going up the stairs.

I know this is a minor nit-pick, but I think if they changed the way the information is displayed, it would make it more useful for riders.

I think it is great the CTA has installed these signs, but they way it displays information makes it hard for riders to know which train is the next one. ..

Is there any reason to assume that the first train listed isn't the next one, unless one is pulling out of the station?

The assumption I would make is that the line is running uneven, not that there are trains every 3 minutes and 2 of them are being suppressed.

I think it is great the CTA has installed these signs, but they way it displays information makes it hard for riders to know which train is the next one. The signs only show 2 trains at a time, however they aren't numbered or anything, so if you glance at the sign and see one train coming in 10 mins & one in 14 mins, there might be a group of 2 trains before that, at say 3 mins & 8 mins. They should number the lines so you know if its the 3rd & 4th train, etc.

This is especially bad at the stations where the signs are in the station houses, such as Diversey. If you are walking in, you might see a screen like I describe above, and not know that trains are coming quicker, so you might take your time going up the stairs.

I know this is a minor nit-pick, but I think if they changed the way the information is displayed, it would make it more useful for riders.

Where that becomes a real issue is on the loop elevated. That may be why they haven't installed GDS signs there yet, but I don't see why a quick flip of the signs wouldn't solve that. (showing up to four lines) The primary concern may be if say your at State/Lake elevated and there are two orange lines and two green lines, then the sign would default to the next four trains coming (regardless of color) which won't show when the Purple line or Pink line would be coming. I wonder is it possible to program a train of each line into the next four, regardless of when they will show up? Of course they could just go with the bigger Titan signs on the loop elevated.

Is there any reason to assume that the first train listed isn't the next one, unless one is pulling out of the station?

Yes, because it only shows 2 upcoming trains at a time, so if there are say 8 trains on the list, you don't know if its showing 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 or 7/8.

Where that becomes a real issue is on the loop elevated. That may be why they haven't installed GDS signs there yet, but I don't see why a quick flip of the signs wouldn't solve that. (showing up to four lines) The primary concern may be if say your at State/Lake elevated and there are two orange lines and two green lines, then the sign would default to the next four trains coming (regardless of color) which won't show when the Purple line or Pink line would be coming. I wonder is it possible to program a train of each line into the next four, regardless of when they will show up? Of course they could just go with the bigger Titan signs on the loop elevated.

I think a simpler display would be to just list each line and then show how many minutes for the next 3 or 4 on each line, of course if 2 lines said 2 minutes, you wouldn't know which one was next, but I still think it'd be better then what they have now.

I hate the signs inside the station house. Inevitably, the sign is not showing the information I need when I walk in and by the time I walk past it, maybe it has changed but still likely not to what information I need. Might as well not be there 7/10 times. Quicker scrolling might help, but I think it's just too much information (showing next 4 trains in each direction) for a small screen in a location you pass thru quickly. The platform signs are great.

Yes, because it only shows 2 upcoming trains at a time, so if there are say 8 trains on the list, you don't know if its showing 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 or 7/8.

What makes you believe that it isn't 1 and 2? What reason would they have to display 7 and 8? At least on the same line?

What makes you believe that it isn't 1 and 2? What reason would they have to display 7 and 8? At least on the same line?

Look at the signs, they scroll through all the upcoming trains on a particular line. At least they are smart enough to split it by direction, so for instance you only see loop bound trains on one side.

Look at the signs, they scroll through all the upcoming trains on a particular line. At least they are smart enough to split it by direction, so for instance you only see loop bound trains on one side.

You didn't answer the question. If you weren't saying before that they were omitting the next 6 trains, then what did you mean? If you are complaining about the scrolling, then, if nothing else, they have too much information. The next two trains to a given destination on a line should be sufficient.

You didn't answer the question. If you weren't saying before that they were omitting the next 6 trains, then what did you mean? If you are complaining about the scrolling, then, if nothing else, they have too much information. The next two trains to a given destination on a line should be sufficient.

Exactly, I agree, they should just show the next 2 trains coming on the line. The problem is it scrolls through all the upcoming trains and you don't know where on the list the signs are displaying.

• 3 years later...