CTA Flat Car s-601

SE CTA Fan

Does anyone have a close up shot, details or a drawing of CTA flatcar S-601?

I am thinking of scratchbuilding a copy for my O scale layout (a flatcar should be a good starter project, having never scratchbuilt a car before). I've studied the pictures on Chicago L.org, but was wondering if anyone had a better picture in their collection.

Thanks in advance,

SE CTA Fan / Terry

sw4400:

Thanks for the reply. That car is at IRM, so maybe that would be a lot easier to measure. A trip out there is always enjoyable.

I just went with s-601 as it appears to have more basic trucks that I could use a commercial version.

Either way, both are pretty basic first time scratchbuilding project.

When (if) I finish, I'll post a photo. I've been building buildings on the layout now, and am looking for a change.

Thanks again,

SE CTA Fan / Terry

That car is at IRM, so maybe that would be a lot easier to measure. ...

One thing to check is if it had pockets to put on side walls, to make it into a gondola to haul a bit of ballast or the like. CERA 115 indicates that some of the flat cars did, but that would have been 40 years ago.

Those almost look like old streetcar trucks. If you can find them, back in the 1940s there were a few firms that made O scale 2-rail trucks, including those for use on streetcars. I use tinplate tubular track, but have been fairly successful in putting Lionel wheel sets in old 2-rail trucks.

I've done a ton of conversions of O two-rail equipment to Lionel operation, if you find any similar old trucks (Tend to show up on eBay regularly), send me a PM if you need any advice.

On the other hand, I think MTH has made some streetcar stuff, perhaps you could buy just the trucks, remove the motor and gears (And use them elsewhere), and have a pair of trucks that way.