Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

My point is while your account log has the actual time from the CPU, the time on the field device could be way off AND that field device's time setting determined whether or not you get banged for another fare.

  • Kevin would know better, but I don't think there is any timer in the field device. The field device just reads the number on the chip, asks the server if it is valid and tells the server to charge the account.
  • Kevin also noted his problem on the CTA Tattler, right under someone else who had reported the same sort of problem earlier.
  • The field device wouldn't know that Kevin had previously gone through an L turnstile and thus charge the 25 cent transfer fare. That was proper, although $2.00 at the same time through the same device was not.
Posted

On the timer issue, you might want to mull over chris's comment on the CTA Tattler, which is essentially that he has a 30 day pass, but after he used it once, but then left the paid area, no other reader would allow it.

Posted

Well I'm just glad to be able to say so far for myself personally, after using Ventra a week and a half now, I haven't had a major issue using my Ventra card. All my rides to this point have been bus rides. I haven't used the L yet due to earlier reports of folks getting stuck in the turnstiles because they only turned halfway after tapping their cards. Maybe that issue was fixed given Kevin successfully got through with his card.

Posted

Well I'm just glad to be able to say so far for myself personally, after using Ventra a week and a half now, I haven't had a major issue using my Ventra card. All my rides to this point have been bus rides. I haven't used the L yet due to earlier reports of folks getting stuck in the turnstiles because they only turned halfway after tapping their cards. Maybe that issue was fixed given Kevin successfully got through with his card.

As I understood it, the issue was with rotogates, not turnstiles. RedEye.

Posted

Well I'm just glad to be able to say so far for myself personally, after using Ventra a week and a half now, I haven't had a major issue using my Ventra card. All my rides to this point have been bus rides. I haven't used the L yet due to earlier reports of folks getting stuck in the turnstiles because they only turned halfway after tapping their cards. Maybe that issue was fixed given Kevin successfully got through with his card.

I have also had no issues but my riding has been all L and no bus. I had one instance of the wrong card in my wallet being read, but now I just take the Ventra card out. I am going to experiment with some aluminium or duct tape in between cards to possible isolate the RFID signals and allow me to tap my wallet once again. I also had one instance where I got the STOP signal, but another scan yielded a GO.

Posted

I have also had no issues but my riding has been all L and no bus. I had one instance of the wrong card in my wallet being read, but now I just take the Ventra card out. I am going to experiment with some aluminium or duct tape in between cards to possible isolate the RFID signals and allow me to tap my wallet once again. I also had one instance where I got the STOP signal, but another scan yielded a GO.

It seems like "tapping your wallet" is a bad idea in any event. Besides the "wrong card" issue, it shows people "asking for a donation" hanging around the L station that you have a wallet, probably with money in it, and also available to steal if they ever figure out that iPhones have gps in them, and hence are not such a good target.

Posted

It seems like "tapping your wallet" is a bad idea in any event. Besides the "wrong card" issue, it shows people "asking for a donation" hanging around the L station that you have a wallet, probably with money in it, and also available to steal if they ever figure out that iPhones have gps in them, and hence are not such a good target.

The good news is that my wallet is similar to this:

jp-tods-leather-wallet---43704-0p.jpgNo cash involved!

Posted

Just wanted to share that a passback fare using Ventra and a 30 day pass works as it did with the Chicago Card Plus. I now have a $-2.25 balance on my Ventra account for the passback L ride.

Posted

Just wanted to share that a passback fare using Ventra and a 30 day pass works as it did with the Chicago Card Plus. I now have a $-2.25 balance on my Ventra account for the passback L ride.

To clarify it (and related to my comment why Kevin might have been charged both 25 cents and $2.00) by "passback" to you mean letting someone else board behind you on your card?

Also, that doesn't seem to square with chris's comment on the CTA Tattler that he was just locked out. Could the difference be that you have authorized regular charges from your credit card to reload the CCP or Ventra card, and maybe he did not?

Posted

To clarify it (and related to my comment why Kevin might have been charged both 25 cents and $2.00) by "passback" to you mean letting someone else board behind you on your card?

Also, that doesn't seem to square with chris's comment on the CTA Tattler that he was just locked out. Could the difference be that you have authorized regular charges from your credit card to reload the CCP or Ventra card, and maybe he did not?

Yes that is what I mean. In reality, I did not go through the turnstile in time (my fault, not the turnstile) and had to tap again to get through. Here is what the Ventra website shows:

8vjw.png

I do have auto reload on my pass so that could be the difference.

Posted

Yes that is what I mean. In reality, I did not go through the turnstile in time (my fault, not the turnstile) and had to tap again to get through. Here is what the Ventra website shows:

8vjw.png

I do have auto reload on my pass so that could be the difference.

But like Kevin, and unlike Chris, you got taken for the $2.25, since you didn't allow another person to board.

I did post a link to this on the CTA Tattler, in case chris sees that.

Posted

But like Kevin, and unlike Chris, you got taken for the $2.25, since you didn't allow another person to board.

I did post a link to this on the CTA Tattler, in case chris sees that.

I wouldn't consider it taken as unlike Kevin, I intentionally tapped twice. The first time, I realized I dropped something and turned back to pick it up, thus missing the turnstile. This was not a Ventra mishap.

Posted

I wouldn't consider it taken as unlike Kevin, I intentionally tapped twice. The first time, I realized I dropped something and turned back to pick it up, thus missing the turnstile. This was not a Ventra mishap.

I took it as "taken" in the sense that you already had a pass, but it decided to charge you instead of honoring the pass. I'm not in a position to judge the time between taps.

Posted

Still haven't received the Ventra Card that is to replace my Chicago Plus card, even though I received an e-mail about 8 weeks ago telling me to expect it in 1-2 weeks. I shouldn't have to wait until January to get my Chicago Card Plus account monies transferred over to Ventra. Still, the "last of the Ventra cards for Chicago Card Plus holders" were mailed put last week. Could it be in today's mail?

Posted

Still haven't received the Ventra Card that is to replace my Chicago Plus card, even though I received an e-mail about 8 weeks ago telling me to expect it in 1-2 weeks. I shouldn't have to wait until January to get my Chicago Card Plus account monies transferred over to Ventra. Still, the "last of the Ventra cards for Chicago Card Plus holders" were mailed put last week. Could it be in today's mail?

Only your postman knows for sure, but 6 weeks over seems too far over to me. However, as noted in the CTA Tattler, the alternative seems to be sitting on hold on the phone.

The question raised there is if the e-mail had a valid return address (as opposed to saying it was computer generated and the address does not accept replies), and someone there said a representative suggested [email protected], although that was not on the site.

Posted

Still haven't received the Ventra Card that is to replace my Chicago Plus card, even though I received an e-mail about 8 weeks ago telling me to expect it in 1-2 weeks. I shouldn't have to wait until January to get my Chicago Card Plus account monies transferred over to Ventra. Still, the "last of the Ventra cards for Chicago Card Plus holders" were mailed put last week. Could it be in today's mail?

Only your postman knows for sure, but 6 weeks over seems too far over to me. However, as noted in the CTA Tattler, the alternative seems to be sitting on hold on the phone.

The question raised there is if the e-mail had a valid return address (as opposed to saying it was computer generated and the address does not accept replies), and someone there said a representative suggested [email protected], although that was not on the site.

It's going to get real interesting if November 15 (the CC/CCP deactivation date) comes around and people still don't have their new Ventra cards with their transferred CCP balances.

Posted

It's going to get real interesting if November 15 (the CC/CCP deactivation date) comes around and people still don't have their new Ventra cards with their transferred CCP balances.

If by interesting, you mean POed.

Since this is going to be a P.I.T.A. either way, whether it makes sense (or is even allowed) to just by the card, register it, and then go to a park on the given day to transfer the balance.

Posted

Only your postman knows for sure, but 6 weeks over seems too far over to me. However, as noted in the CTA Tattler, the alternative seems to be sitting on hold on the phone.

The question raised there is if the e-mail had a valid return address (as opposed to saying it was computer generated and the address does not accept replies), and someone there said a representative suggested [email protected], although that was not on the site.

Mine showed up today. They're mailed from Buffalo.

My God, though, the Ventra website blows. It may not be the worst website in the world, but it's damn close. I particularly like the "we put names on the cards, but you can't figure out which card is which online" part. Real clever. Also love the "log in to the website, then call us (and deal with our phone system, also programmed by morons.) so you can listen to advertisting. (hint: press 2 after you've entered your security access code, and you can skip the give us money spiel.

Honorable mention for suck: put the sticker with the number to call on top of the card number.

Posted

VENTRA SUCKS

I just got my card 10 days after the e-mail said it was coming

  • I cannot activate on-line it because there is no "Access Code". It is not the Password given in the e-mail
  • I cannot Register on-line because it does not like the combo of card #, expry date, and CVV code
  • The wait time on the phone is 36 minutes.
Posted

And after 36 minutes, got cut off.

Maybe I'll file a complaint with the Illinois Banking Commissioner.

Sorry, doesn't have jurisdiction, since it is not a bank card.

In fact, I doubt that there is any regulatory jurisdiction, as the CTA books take quite a lot of pride in that it is self regulated and freed from the clutches of the Illinois Commerce Commission. This doesn't look like an area within the RTA's supervision, either.

Posted

They outsourced card processing to a bank. The envelope and letterhead says MetaBank. They are doing business in Illinois. Ergo, they answer to the banking commissioner.

MetaBank might be, but that doesn't get you anything with respect to crummy CTA customer service. All it would do is give you recourse if your account was charged, but since you can't activate your card, that can't happen.

And rest assured, even if an Illinois regulatory agency has jurisdiction, it would do nothing.

Posted

VENTRA SUCKS

I just got my card 10 days after the e-mail said it was coming

  • I cannot activate on-line it because there is no "Access Code". It is not the Password given in the e-mail
  • I cannot Register on-line because it does not like the combo of card #, expry date, and CVV code
  • The wait time on the phone is 36 minutes.

Check your email for the temporary username and password that Ventra sends. Log into the Ventra website with that, you will then setup your access code for the phone activation.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...