CTA 8576

buslist

I had forgotten about this but this photo posted on another forum jogged my memory. There were experiments conducted by Flxible and CTA utilizing guided bus technology. The experements were conducted on old Lake Shore Drive on the South Side. The bus followed a wire embedded in the pavement.

post-44-0-48611400-1383147995_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

I read something about an electrically controlled Flxible bus that supposedly operated itself, I don't know if this is the same one. I believe Andre talked about it in one of the bus magazines. The bus was equipped for a test in South Shops parking lot when they saw it was running erratically (i don't know if it hit stuff) it was scrapped, the story said. I never knew there was such a test on south LSD. Interesting.

I recall a story in the Tribune back in the 1960s about the possibility of CTA using guided buses. The bus shown (a drawing I think) was an Old Look Flxible Twin Coach [55xx-82xx series?]. I do believe that a west coast operator [maybe AC Transit] was testing a guide bus using devices imbeded in the pavement. I can't find the video on You Tube but I'm sure I've seen it.