Bus Route Elimination of Your Choice

garmon757

On the diagonal route point, the current increased push to cut what diagonal routes remain around the edges is a big leap from their past position of pushing the fact that a diagonal route is another one of its services besides an express bus route or rail route that potentially provides faster service to a given location, in this case the diagonal route being quicker than the necessary two cross routes as an alternative.

Pace is more upfront on this than CTA. When it cut 210 off Lincoln between Peterson and Irving Park in 2005, it cited delays with all the 6 way traffic lights and that Lincoln is a narrow street south of Peterson. While the cross street reference wasn't there, it was when they threatened to cut 210 completely in 2007, saying that alternative service would be provided on Touhy, Oakton, and Dempster.

There, however, had to be more with respect to Lincoln, as the justification that it is near the L would have more mandated cutting 56 Milwaukee. Theoretically, 7 Harrison could have been cut as being near the Blue Line. But CTA never said what the real reason was, but just lied at the hearing about listening.

Getting back to Wilson, the justifications on the maps was that all portions of the line were within 2 blocks of something else, while the standard is usually 4. But one could say the same thing about Lunt, compared to 290 Touhy.

I also have to amend my remarks about Lunt, in that when there was the Rogers Park/Evanston restructuring around 2003, 96 did go into the SE Skokie Industrial Park, but that didn't last long. As far as I can tell, neither did the Industrial Park. But it wasn't total inertia.

The 48 Damen I never see no more then 6 people on that route

Peak direction (A.M Northbound, P.M Southbound) it does well now with

the extension to "The Plaza," which covers a partial gap where X49 was

operated. Otherwise if 48 is eliminated there would be no service to the

Orangeline on Western south of 79th, forcing some city people to

transfer. It would be better if they just extend some 49 trips to 97th

because the frequency of 48 has been cut almost to 22-25 min, when X49

did 7min in the peak from "The Plaza" all the way to Berwyn.

Let me add this: I think that owl service to/from Western/87th, connecting with #N87 87th night owl service, should also be implemented.

• Upvote 2

I think they should keep the 48 as it is now because It's serves one of the tough neighborhoods like between 47th to 79th, I don't think people wants to walk from Ashland, 69th, 79th, 63rd, Garfield, 51st, Western. It's still a crime problem in those areas (Back of the Yards and Englewood).

But as for the Owl Service they should extend N87 to 79th/Western terminal for N79/ N49 which it's a good idea.