Fictional Rapid Transit Drawings

Hello forum members! In my spare time over the years, I have been creating fictional rapid transit drawings using Adobe Illustrator. I was thinking about sharing them on this forum, but there's a catch: While the scenery and other trains are hand drawn by me, I used the trains on the Car Livery page of chicagoL.org as sort of a "base reference" to scale everything else. I would like to give someone (Graham Garfield?) credit for these and acknowledge that I used them to create my drawings BEFORE I post the illustrations up. The image I attached is an example of what I mean.

Any ideas? Unlike actual images on ChicagoL.org, the drawings have no names to give credit to. If nothing progresses, I'll keep my images as a "hobby."

post-1461-0-12778100-1392870120_thumb.pn

• Upvote 1

Hello forum members! In my spare time over the years, I have been creating fictional rapid transit drawings using Adobe Illustrator. I was thinking about sharing them on this forum, but there's a catch: While the scenery and other trains are hand drawn by me, I used the trains on the Car Livery page of chicagoL.org as sort of a "base reference" to scale everything else. I would like to give someone (Graham Garfield?) credit for these and acknowledge that I used them to create my drawings BEFORE I post the illustrations up. The image I attached is an example of what I mean.

Any ideas? Unlike actual images on ChicagoL.org, the drawings have no names to give credit to. If nothing progresses, I'll keep my images as a "hobby."

This should be what you're looking for regarding copyrights to those drawings...

Thanks to Leon Kay, Art Peterson and Alan Follett, who contributed information and corrections to this page.

I would like to see these drawings. I have created a massive fleet of CTA Paper Buses. While my work has been touching up existing models to CTA liveries of that time period they were from, as well doing little tweaks to detail non-existing bus drawings or overhauling a current drawing to create one that doesn't exist. I'm impressed with what I was able to make given what was out there. I've got paper buses from the Fishbowls of the 1970's to the Nova LFS Smart Bus yet to debut on CTA routes today.

• Upvote 2

This should be what you're looking for regarding copyrights to those drawings...

Thanks to Leon Kay, Art Peterson and Alan Follett, who contributed information and corrections to this page.

Thanks for the response! I still feel "inconsiderate" just using/modifying those images knowing they came from someone else, but at least now I know who to give credit to!

• Upvote 1

The attributions are not sufficient. Copying itself without permission is a copyright violation, if the copy is published on the Internet. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act may make the administrator liable if he knows you are posting infringing matter, and at a minimum, if the copyright owner makes a demand that he matter be removed, the administrator has to remove it or can be held liable to the copyright holder. (17 USC 512).

There is an exception for fair use (such as parody), which allows Jimmy Kimmel to doctor videos, but I wonder if what you propose is that. You can get ideas from others, such as dimensions, but not copy their images. What you are proposing might be in the gray area between the two.

Three points to consider:

• The Community Guidelines describe what can be posted. Similarly, while Wikipedia is not a source, their description about images that may be posted is correct.
  • Do not ask for or take advice from someone who does not know anything about the field, as in post #2. On the other hand, I do have experience.
  • Even the attribution is wrong, as Art Peterson did not voluntarily contribute, nor consent to the unauthorized publication.

Well, I see this thread has run its course. sw4400, I apologize for not getting appropriate pictures and getting you a personal attack as well. I think it would be best for this thread to be locked up. Have a nice day all.

There was not any personal attack there.

There was not any personal attack there.

I feel there was, and Kevin has been made aware... Thank you for letting me know, MTRSP1900...

Do not ask for or take advice from someone who does not know anything about the field, as in post #2. On the other hand, I do have experience.

• Upvote 1

I feel there was, and Kevin has been made aware... Thank you for letting me know, MTRSP1900...

No, just a fact.

Did you click the link to the Copyright Act?

By the way, did you get permission to post the pictures of the bus without the logo? Or should the copyright holder ask to have them removed, too?