CTA Bus Summer Picks (Sunday June 15th, 2014)

Juniorz

A couple of things seen while looking over new schedules:

It appears underpass at Kedzie/49th is going to be rebuilt. 51 detour via Kedzie-47-California-51, 52 via Kedzie-Kedzie station-Kedzie-47-Califrornia-51-Kedzie, but here is the real kicker - 52A via Kedzie-51-Western to Western Orange Line, return 48 Pl-Western Blvd-51-Kedzie.

Also, notice 5 Chicago Av buses after AM rush pull in to North Park, pull out from there in PM rush? These are Chicago Garage runs.

It appears underpass at Kedzie/49th is going to be rebuilt. 51 detour via Kedzie-47-California-51, 52 via Kedzie-Kedzie station-Kedzie-47-Califrornia-51-Kedzie, but here is the real kicker - 52A via Kedzie-51-Western to Western Orange Line, return 48 Pl-Western Blvd-51-Kedzie.

Also, notice 5 Chicago Av buses after AM rush pull in to North Park, pull out from there in PM rush? These are Chicago Garage runs.

S-NP = Navy Pier, Chicago now stores some busses at Navy Pier just like 77th at Randolph and 103rd at 95th station.

• Upvote 2

Apparently you're looking at advanced schedules for the operators considering the update for the 52 for the public is still saying "Coming Soon". Not to mention we wouldn't see pull ins or pull outs on a schedule outside of a trip beginning or ending at a street that runs near where that route's garage location.

Apparently you're looking at advanced schedules for the operators considering the update for the 52 for the public is still saying "Coming Soon". Not to mention we wouldn't see pull ins or pull outs on a schedule outside of a trip beginning or ending at a street that runs near where that route's garage location.

That may be true, but that doesn't make Andre's post less informative, even if this information isn't widely known to the public at large.

That may be true, but that doesn't make Andre's post less informative, even if this information isn't widely known to the public at large.

I never said it wasn't informative. I'm just pointing out that he's giving us that little extra that sometimes we might have to wait till the start of the pick or very close to it to find out since it is info that sometimes only operators get to see. So I think you a bit quick to jump the gun and suggest I was saying his post had no relevance. At any rate, I agree with him that it very interesting that they're going to detour the 52A all the way to the Western Orange Line station. Depending on which side of the station bus terminal the 48 has its layover, that station is going to be potentially crowded with buses during weekday rush periods with four bus routes rolling through there as of the start of the summer pick (48, 49, 52A and 94). For that reason I'd be surprised if the 52A layover isn't on the opposite side of the terminal of the 48.

Looks like the reroutes of 51, 52 and 52A due to overpass work at Kedzie/49th won't be happening come Sunday as originally planned. Those routes are no longer on the summer pick schedule change list on CTA's website and the advanced schedules for 51 and 52A have been pulled. Plus CTA has neither a current nor upcoming alert mentioning anything about those detours. Andre or another operator can probably confirm whether or not it is indeed the case that CTA changed its mind on the detours due to a possible postponement of construction. He was correct that CTA initially had something in mind to happen in that area because I checked the advanced schedule list the same day this thread went up and there were 51 and 52A advance schedules showing the detours that Andre described. The 52 advance schedule had yet to be put up that day. It was listed as "Coming Soon" for an advance schedule. Now the advance schedule page has those three removed from the list altogether as I mentioned above, apparently indicating they don't plan to tweak the schedules for those three after all for the start of summer pick.