CTA 5/ 50 One Man Cars In Service

chicagopcclcar

So then it sounds like actually the #6000's ran in the Jefferson Park Kennedy extension on ATC equipped trackage even though they were not ATC equipped themselves. They were used more often then even running in two car sets. I'm assuming the #2200's came with the ATC installed and the #2000's had to be retrofitted?

As someone who rode West-Northwest trains at least four days a week and very frequently on Sundays (to UIC[C] during the week- but I seldom had a class on Friday, and using a Sunday Supertransfer) during the years 1975-1979, you need to remember that WNW ran only two-car trains except during weekday rush hours. When they were extended to six cars for rush hours, the flat-door 6000-series cars were marshalled to be in the center of the train. (The conductor would be in this train.) The flat-door cars never operated as a single two-car train. So they did not need cab signals.

As someone who rode West-Northwest trains at least four days a week and very frequently on Sundays (to UIC[C] during the week- but I seldom had a class on Friday, and using a Sunday Supertransfer) during the years 1975-1979, you need to remember that WNW ran only two-car trains except during weekday rush hours. When they were extended to six cars for rush hours, the flat-door 6000-series cars were marshalled to be in the center of the train. (The conductor would be in this train.) The flat-door cars never operated as a single two-car train. So they did not need cab signals.

The "blind motors" were considered to be a temporary expedient in any event, until the 2600's went into service. The blind motors were all scrapped by mid-1982.