CTA 5/ 50 One Man Cars In Service

chicagopcclcar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXhZx1CN29M&feature=youtu.be

In the 90s, the CTA had a surplus of PCC "L" cars. This was a result in downturn in ridership. Federal monies had been used to rehab in latest PCC "L" cars. The cars were not needed in service but had to be keep in ready-the run in service, shape. The cars that were assigned to the west division were run in service on weekends whenever they were due for inspections.

• Upvote 2

In the 90s, the CTA had a surplus of PCC "L" cars. This was a result in downturn in ridership. Federal monies had been used to rehab in latest PCC "L" cars. The cars were not needed in service but had to be keep in ready-the run in service, shape. The cars that were assigned to the west division were run in service on weekends whenever they were due for inspections.

Great tune by Monica at 11:15, "Before you walk out of my life"

My goodness, good video!!! I'm going to guess that this was filmed in 1995.

Six!! That makes sure that you have enough platform space. The Holiday Train berths at the eight mark......6 cars and Santa.

Thanks!

BTW, the video was the first time I have ever seen a 5 car train of 5 to 50s. :o I had always seen them in even numbers (even when connected to 6000s).

Thanks!

BTW, the video was the first time I have ever seen a 5 car train of 5 to 50s. :o I had always seen them in even numbers (even when connected to 6000s).

This is the first time I ever saw 5-50 run anywhere but Ravenswood, Skokie or Evanston.

But my favorites were 1-4, which back in the early 1960s, you could only ride during rush hours on the Ravenswood. I loved that red & black paint job with the silver lightning slash on the side. They even had nicer upholstery, although that might have been from the little use they got.

I know one of them was sold to GE & used at it's Erie locomotive plant, but it's a long time since I read where the other three ended up.

This is the first time I ever saw 5-50 run anywhere but Ravenswood, Skokie or Evanston.

But my favorites were 1-4, which back in the early 1960s, you could only ride during rush hours on the Ravenswood. I loved that red & black paint job with the silver lightning slash on the side. They even had nicer upholstery, although that might have been from the little use they got.

I know one of them was sold to GE & used at it's Erie locomotive plant, but it's a long time since I read where the other three ended up.

So you never heard that all the one man cars not used on the North section were all assigned to the West-Northwest....Congress/ Douglas/ Jefferson Park. They ran in pairs, numbered 5 to 6......7 to 8....etc.

The high speed that went to GE was because it had GE electricals. GE didn't use it. I drove to Erie on a trip East and found it in the weeds and shurbs.

Thanks!

Evanston Express used to be 5 car trains (in the early 70s). The Bicentennial ones were especially strange, in that the upsweep stripes were only around the right cab window, looking from the side, as opposed to on 2 car sets, where the upsweeps were on the A end of the side, resulting in a more balanced effect. chicago-l.org has a picture of a bientennial car here (but on the Skokie Swift).

Ravenswood trains were usually 6 car, although at some point in the mid-70s, a single unit would be on either end, because, for some reason they put cab signals in the single units, but not in the 6000s with which they were trained.

Thanks!

Once in a while Linden would put three man's together with a duece, but to even the train out, one man car was coupled on the end making a usual six car train.

Evanston Express used to be 5 car trains (in the early 70s). The Bicentennial ones were especially strange, in that the upsweep stripes were only around the right cab window, looking from the side, as opposed to on 2 car sets, where the upsweeps were on the A end of the side, resulting in a more balanced effect. chicago-l.org has a picture of a bientennial car here (but on the Skokie Swift).

Ravenswood trains were usually 6 car, although at some point in the mid-70s, a single unit would be on either end, because, for some reason they put cab signals in the single units, but not in the 6000s with which they were trained.

When cab signals were being installed on the last section (Ravenswood), that route was mostly 6001-6052 and 6401-6470 series cars. It was decided that there was no need to install cab signals on these. so when cab signals were installed these cars became "blind motors" - not to be used as lead cars. The 6400's went back to NS, 6031-6052 went to WNW, and 6001-6030 stayed at Rave. The non-Skokie 5-50's (except paired 13-14 and 17-18) were to run as "end cars" with four blind motors in the middle. These trains stayed pretty much unbroken for weeks on end, used only in the rush. The 6031-6052 on WNW were retured pretty soon, as were the non-ATC 6400's on NS, but 6001-6030 stuck around the longest on Rave.

No wonder they had so many #6000 wrecks. I didn't know they didn't have ATC.

Nothing had ATC until it was put on (according to chicago-l,org, Lake, and then) the Dan Ryan and Jefferson Park extensions in 1969. In the period Andre and I were discussing (mid 1970s), it was retrofitted into the PCCs on other lines, but based on what Andre said, apparently not on ones slated for retirement or that could be used as belly cars.

Of course,stuff like the Blue Line on the Milwaukee L and Milwaukee-Dearborn subway relied on trackside block signals until recently.

Starting with the 1977 Lake and Wabash wreck until the two recent Blue Line ones, the question is why there are so many wrecks with ATC.

My goodness, good video!!! I'm going to guess that this was filmed in 1995.

Miss these trains! But fiIming while driving in busy expy traffic??? Thats not very intelligent!

Miss these trains! But fiIming while driving in busy expy traffic??? Thats not very intelligent!

True but when I mentioned to someone, in a different context, whether the ban on texting and driving applied to photography and driving, he said that the camera operator was riding in the passenger seat, which seems to be the case here (i.e. backwards shots, and the camera seeming to be focused on the right part of the hood).

Nothing had ATC until it was put on (according to chicago-l,org, Lake, and then) the Dan Ryan and Jefferson Park extensions in 1969. In the period Andre and I were discussing (mid 1970s), it was retrofitted into the PCCs on other lines, but based on what Andre said, apparently not on ones slated for retirement or that could be used as belly cars.

Of course,stuff like the Blue Line on the Milwaukee L and Milwaukee-Dearborn subway relied on trackside block signals until recently.

Starting with the 1977 Lake and Wabash wreck until the two recent Blue Line ones, the question is why there are so many wrecks with ATC.

So then it sounds like actually the #6000's ran in the Jefferson Park Kennedy extension on ATC equipped trackage even though they were not ATC equipped themselves. They were used more often then even running in two car sets. I'm assuming the #2200's came with the ATC installed and the #2000's had to be retrofitted?

So then it sounds like actually the #6000's ran in the Jefferson Park Kennedy extension on ATC equipped trackage even though they were not ATC equipped themselves....

I don't think so. My impression was that those assigned to WNW (over 6510?) got cab signals in 1970, while those assigned to other lines (NS, R, E) didn't get them until something like 1975. I suppose that meant mixed operation on the Loop L.

2200s came with them, while the CERA books indicate that some 2000s had speedometers, but all were retrofit with ATC.

I don't think so. My impression was that those assigned to WNW (over 6510?) got cab signals in 1970, while those assigned to other lines (NS, R, E) didn't get them until something like 1975. I suppose that meant mixed operation on the Loop L.

2200s came with them, while the CERA books indicate that some 2000s had speedometers, but all were retrofit with ATC.

Correct - all cars on WNW in 1970 got cab signals. Up to that point, WNW had a bunch of 5-50's, but those went to Rave in 1969. However, cars on other lines still had no cab signals. Loop was very much mixed, Lake/Ryan with cab signals, Ravenswood/Loop Shuttle without, Evanston without and mostly 4000's.

2000's all got cab signals in 1969 when all went to Lake/Ryan. 6500-6700's were actually fitted in summer of 1969 with cab signals and window guards, some were sent to Lake/Ryan 9/69 as there weren't enough 2200's in yet to be sure they had enough cars to run the route, but it is unlikely the 6500's were ever used and were back on WNW by 2/70.

Ravenswood was last route to get cab signals.

Here is basic chronology of cab signal installation:

12-03-1973 Began cab signal installation program at Hamlin/Lake shop

01-27-1975 Douglas

02-20-1975 North Side Main

11-16-1975 South Side Main

11-23-1975 Evanston

12-15-1975 Skokie

02-26-1976 Wells, Van Buren sides of Loop

04-12-1976 Non-cab signal cars can no longer lead

04-28-1976 Ravenswood - program complete

Note that most routes were converted in sections and these are completion dates.

When the Kennedy Extension opened, 6511-6720 were on the route and all got the WABCo ATC installation (the one with the light band showing allowable speed). At the time, they were the only 6000's with ATC. When the mass installations started in 1973, the first three pairs with the GRS cab signals that showed allowable speed in numbers were 6101-6102, 6105-6106, and 6241-6242. They were on WNW because that and the Ryan were the only place they could test them, and they were considered too slow for the Ryan, and would have been the onl;y ones on the route. This was the only time a 6200 was ever assigned to WNW!

As of mid-1974, Ravenswood had 6001-6054, 6487-6516, 6721-6722. By August 1974, 6487-6510 went back to NS and 6511-6516 went back to WNW, replaced by the 32 6400's listed below.

There were 32 6400's on Ravenswood in 1974-75: 6403-04. 6409-10, 6415-22, 6425-26, 6431-34, 6441-44, 6447-48, 6455-56, 6461-62, 6465-66, 6469-70. When Rave went to ATC, these 32 went to NS, and 6031-46,6049-52 went to WNW, replaced by 6517-6536 off WNW and some 6137-6166. 6169-6170 off NS

So to summarize, when the ATC program was completed, car assignments were as follows:

WNW 2279-2350, 6031-6046, 6049-6052, 6537-6720 (276)

WS 2001-2180, 2201-2278 (258)

NS 6161-6166, 6169-6234, 6237-6308, 6311-6452, 6455-6456, 6459-6510 (340)

Rav 5-22, 31-38, 6001-6130, 6129-6130, 6137-6160, 6511-6536, 6721-6722 (100)

Ev 27-28, 39-50, 6053-6126, 6131-6136 (94)

SK 4, 23-26, 29-30, 51-54 (11)

By comparison, current assigned numbers:

Blue - 396

Pink - 42

Green - 104

Red - 304

Brown - 108

Purple - 100

yellow - 6

Orange - 166

Once in a while Linden would put three man's together with a duece, but to even the train out, one man car was coupled on the end making a usual six car train.

There was a period when 5 car trains were SCHEDULED on Evanston, about 1974 or so. Originally all Evanston downtown service was four cars in the days of 4000's. The couple of 1-50 sets that went out were a bit of a hassle at South Blvd as they had four poles to raise, lower. Normally, conductor handled pole on third car, platform man did first. With a train of singles, conductor usually had to do second car, motorman first, platform man third and fourth, so things took a bit longer. After third rail was put in, this no longer mattered, so a few mid-PM rush trains that were getting pretty crowded got a fifth car, then a few months later, all PM rush trains went to six.

So you never heard that all the one man cars not used on the North section were all assigned to the West-Northwest....Congress/ Douglas/ Jefferson Park. They ran in pairs, numbered 5 to 6......7 to 8....etc.

The high speed that went to GE was because it had GE electricals. GE didn't use it. I drove to Erie on a trip East and found it in the weeds and shurbs.

Originally, 5-50 were on WNW. 27-30, 39-50 went to Evanston with start of one-man service. 1-4 were originally in Evanston, as far as I know, but went to Ravenswood early on. When Skokie opened, 1-4 were first cars there, but 27-28 came over from Evanston the first or second day, followed by 25-26 from WNW later in the week, and 23-24 from WNW a couple of weeks later. 5-22, 31-38 stayed on WNW to 1969, then went to Ravenswood. Soon after, 5-21 and 31-37 odd numbers had a second set of door controls installed on the #2 end opposite the motor cab, and about the same time, 13-14 and 17-18 were made into permanent pairs. When cab signals were installed, 5-12, 15, 16, 19-22 had cab signals at both ends, while 13-14 and 17-18 only got them at the #1 ends.

Car 1 was sent to GE, was used in some tests, but not for long. 2 and 3 were cut up in early 70's, and 4 ran on Skokie for many years after being converted to essentially a 2000 electrically. It could not MU with anything in later years, but on Skokie that did not matter.

Originally,

Car 1 was sent to GE, was used in some tests, but not for long. 2 and 3 were cut up in early 70's, and 4 ran on Skokie for many years after being converted to essentially a 2000 electrically. It could not MU with anything in later years, but on Skokie that did not matter.

Thanks for the info. As I said, in Erie, PA., I found the GE high speed in the bushes and the weeds.

Maybe you could the list what programs the CTA is using to keep the 2600 in running condition in that other topic. I gave a paper the MTA used. http://www.mta.info/news/2012/09/07/oldest-mta-new-york-city-transit-subway-cars-getting-their-final-makeover