Bus strike looming in Phoenix West Valley

Pink Jazz

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Threat-of-bus-strike-looms-over-Phoenix-bus-riders-286834311.html

It looks like drivers at the First Transit-Phoenix West Division are going to vote on a new contract next week, and the union is urging the drivers to reject the contract.

For the Phoenix area, we could now have strikes for three consecutive years. In 2012, Veolia-Phoenix and Veolia-Tempe went on strike, followed by the unified Mesa/Tempe First Transit-RPTA in 2013. The West Valley, especially the transit-dependent community of Maryvale, will be hit hard.

I know the City of Phoenix contract with Transdev has a minimum service provision requiring a minimum of 60% service; the City of Phoenix is the only one who has such a requirement (Tempe did not actually have such a requirement prior to its unification with the RPTA; the limited service Tempe provided in the 2012 strike was actually from a negotiation between Tempe's transit director and Veolia, but was not required by the city's contract). However, I am not sure if the City of Phoenix has such a requirement with its contract with First Transit.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Threat-of-bus-strike-looms-over-Phoenix-bus-riders-286834311.html

It looks like drivers at the First Transit-Phoenix West Division are going to vote on a new contract next week, and the union is urging the drivers to reject the contract.

For the Phoenix area, we could now have strikes for three consecutive years. In 2012, Veolia-Phoenix and Veolia-Tempe went on strike, followed by the unified Mesa/Tempe First Transit-RPTA in 2013. The West Valley, especially the transit-dependent community of Maryvale, will be hit hard.

I know the City of Phoenix contract with Transdev has a minimum service provision requiring a minimum of 60% service; the City of Phoenix is the only one who has such a requirement (Tempe did not actually have such a requirement prior to its unification with the RPTA; the limited service Tempe provided in the 2012 strike was actually from a negotiation between Tempe's transit director and Veolia, but was not required by the city's contract). However, I am not sure if the City of Phoenix has such a requirement with its contract with First Transit.

Although I don't use public transportation in the Valley that much, I'm just curious the see how this possible bus strike will affect other metro Phoenix bus routes not mentioned in the list under First Transit, particularly routes 44 (44th St./Tatum), 1- Washington/Jefferson and 50-Camelback Road and 70-Glendale/24th St.

BTW, if I remember correctly, didn't you post a thread about one or two months ago about Valley Metro soon taking delivery of new Gillig transit buses in early 2015?

Although I don't use public transportation in the Valley that much, I'm just curious the see how this possible bus strike will affect other metro Phoenix bus routes not mentioned in the list under First Transit, particularly routes 44 (44th St./Tatum), 1- Washington/Jefferson and 50-Camelback Road and 70-Glendale/24th St.

BTW, if I remember correctly, didn't you post a thread about one or two months ago about Valley Metro soon taking delivery of new Gillig transit buses in early 2015?

Yep, they will be soon taking Gilligs next year. Phoenix will be taking 80 Gillig Low Floor CNGs, while the RPTA will be taking three. The RPTA will also be getting three New Flyer XN60s next year as well.

BTW, routes 1, 44, 50, and 70 are not First Transit-Phoenix routes, they are under Transdev-Phoenix, whch won't be affected by the strike. Routes 1, 44, and 70 normally operate from the South Division, while Route 50 normally operates from the North Division. However, occasionally buses from the South Division may be substituted with buses from the North Division and vice-versa.