Farebox cash payment

Darius

Hi guys,

maybe one of you can tell me what exactly happens on the bus when someone pays cash at the farebox?

I know that the driver gets a confirmation on the screen when a passenger scans the Ventra card, but when they pay cash, does the driver have to do anything?

Thanks!

Darius

Hi guys,

maybe one of you can tell me what exactly happens on the bus when someone pays cash at the farebox?

I know that the driver gets a confirmation on the screen when a passenger scans the Ventra card, but when they pay cash, does the driver have to do anything?

Thanks!

Darius

On the GFIs there generally was a screen that said how much money was put into it. I recall some that would reset when the exact adult fare was deposited, but the driver had to hit a button if it was some other form of cash fare.

On the GFIs there generally was a screen that said how much money was put into it. I recall some that would reset when the exact adult fare was deposited, but the driver had to hit a button if it was some other form of cash fare.

There is a display that shows how much money has been deposited in the box. Driver is supposed to push #1 key for a 2.25 fare, #4 for a 1.10, #5 for a .75 fare. If driver does nothing, or a short amount has been deposited, money gets dumped into the vault automatically after about 60 seconds. Usually if somebody is short, say putting in only 2.00, you hit the 4 key, which deducts 1.10 and then the green dump button to reset the display and drop the money in the vault. That way at least a ride gets recorded. even if not the kind it really should be. Recording the number of rides is more important than the kind of rides because state subsidies are based on total rides, even farebeaters count as riders.
  • Upvote 2

... because state subsidies are based on total rides, even farebeaters count as riders.

Only state subsidy mentioned in the budgets is the reduced fare subsidy. Money from the RTA is all funding formula.* What seems to be happening is that someone is defrauding the reduced fare subsidy fund to also cover freeloaders. But since real reduced fare riders would have to have an RTA issued Ventra card, I don't think this should work either.

*Section 4.03.3 of the RTA Act.

• 2 months later...

On PACE I have noticed that a yellow sticker has been placed over the fare box key pad expect the green dump button, with a notation the reads,"Please record ridership on MDT." Why did they do this?

Might be related to Pace saying that the fareboxes have to be overhauled. However, one would think that the Transitmaster system would have already picked it up through Ventra cards or the door passenger counters. Maybe it reflects that there are too few cash half fares to bother with the farebox counter.