Unusual Red Line Sighting

juelzkellz

Today and once last week I spotted a Red Line train with all #2600's and Brown Line Belmont signs. The first time, I spotted the train leaving 95th around 6:00 last week and today arriving into Roosevelt around 6:25-6:30. Both trains were northbound trains during AM rush. Any explanations?

You might look for these run numbers.... runs X842 & X843. Would these be north side crews, deadheading to 95th St. then running in service to Belmont? I'm completely out of touch with today's run numbers. LOL. When I motored run 847 was the last midnight.

841 is the last midnight out of Howard today.  842 and above are used when special events or baseball games are going on.  The two sets staged at Addison would be 9 something, for 95th.

• Upvote 1

Klabstep, thanks for this information. So using high performance rail cars allows fewer crews to deliver service even when the line is longer.  Of course, the interval is longer. In the PCC days, the north side runs left earlier because the south side had fewer yard capacity. I'm talking about the North-South, Howard-Englewood, Jackson Park. Do they still have the deadheads, operator reports and rides to opposite terminal without working...."run lite." How about "swing runs"?

Klabstep, thanks for this information. So using high performance rail cars allows fewer crews to deliver service even when the line is longer.  Of course, the interval is longer. In the PCC days, the north side runs left earlier because the south side had fewer yard capacity. I'm talking about the North-South, Howard-Englewood, Jackson Park. Do they still have the deadheads, operator reports and rides to opposite terminal without working...."run lite." How about "swing runs"?

In the new pick 801 starts at 5 AM, instead of 4:30 ish.  Yes there are still deadheads and swings.

• Upvote 1

841 is the last midnight out of Howard today.  842 and above are used when special events or baseball games are going on.  The two sets staged at Addison would be 9 something, for 95th.

I don't get up that early but a source tells that even though the trains begin at 95th, they have numbers in the eights, not the nines.  842 leaves 95th at 6am and 843 leaves 95th about 15 minutes later.  They lay up at Belmont and go back south to 95th.