Scarmento-Central Park-Southport-Sheffield-Wrightwood/Logan Blvd

Buslover88

Hi Folks, I have a Proposal for the Five Streets.

SCARMENTO: A Bus Line can Run from Elston to 35th/Archer. Routing would be: Scarmento-Marshall-24th Blvd.-26th-Scarmento-31st-Western-35th-35th/Archer Station.

CENTRAL PARK: A Bus Line can Run from Belmont/Kimball to Cermak. Routing would be: Central Park-Potomac-Central Park-Cermak. To Start another Run Northbound: Cermak-Odgen and back up Central Park.

SOUTHPORT: A Bus Line can Run from Clark to Cortland. The Routing would be: Southport-Cortland-Clybourn and back up Southport (to Start another Run)

SHEFFIELD: A Bus Line can Run from the Sheridan Station to Kingbury. The Routing would be: Sheffield-Kingsbury-North Ave. and back up Sheffield (to Start another Run)

WRIGHTWOOD/LOGAN BLVD.: There would be TWO Bus Routes. A Bus Line on the West can Run from Cicero to Diversey (coming up Logan Blvd). The Routing would be: Wrightwood-Logan-Diversey-Elston, then back to Logan. That Route could Run from Clybourn/Wrightwood to Lincoln Park Zoo. The Routing for the Route would be: Wrightwood-Clark-Wrightwood-Lakeview-Fullerton-Stockon-Webster-Clark to Wrightwood.

By the way, the Calforina Route can Run past Addison.

• Sacramento proposal--Fantasy. (Is Scarmento where Al Capone lived;)?)
  • Central Park--Has been hashed over in several other threads.
  • Sheffield, Southport, and Wrightwood--All existed (some as parts of other routes) until cancelled in 1973. None is needed to fulfill service standards, as all are within 2 blocks of another line (the L, Ashland, and Diversey). Is there any indication that demand has rebounded in any of these areas? Any new traffic generators?

Much of the same could be said of Sacramento, as it is within 2 blocks of 52 or 94, and the proposal incorporates some of the old boulevard system.

Seriously, why not bring back the 23 Morgan-Racine or 127 Jackson-Independence?

Fantasywise, why not bring back the Broadway-State streetcar? (I forgot, the Lipinskis want the Ogden streetcar, but they have clout.)

It seems that you want to bring back old routes, but then you rant about the old timers. Or maybe you just haven't done your research.

I wasn't Ranting the Old Days, i was just saying. Scarmento doesn't need a Route. There is a Need for a Route on Racine and/or Southport. Southport and Sheffield used to have Routes? Well, sometimes I feel we need the Routes back.  The 23 should be brought back, and the 127 too. 134 Logan Blvd should also be brought back. And Yes, most Old Routes should be brought back.

No, old bus routes should not be brought back within two blocks of each other!

All of the routes you suggest aren't in especially dense areas and thus have no reason to run two blocks from existing CTA bus lines. The Central Park route could work, but this route would be the 82 shifted west two blocks (Homan/Kimball to Central Park) from 31st to Belmont (maybe service to 35/Archer station, too). However, this would require changes to the 52 and has been discussed in endless detail in other threads as well. I think I've said too much all ready.

More info, the Southport route was the 46 Southport. The 23 Morgan/Racine should NOT be brought back as it primarily served now-defunct areas during the rush hour (it was rush hour only).

You need to think more about your bus schemes before you propose them. Most defunct routes are defunct for a reason (LOW RIDERSHIP!). Also, some of your routes in the past would run on streets that do not run through all the way or are too narrow to fit buses (99-99th and the 27-Prairie come to mind?)

The Southport entertainment corridor north of the Brown Line is a major destination and could use a bus route. Maybe the Lincoln Avenue bus should turn north at Southport and terminate at Irving Park; Lincoln Avenue passengers would use the Brown Line and other north-south buses to continue their trips. Alternately, reroute the Ashland Avenue bus to Southport north of Belmont.

You need to think more about your bus schemes before you propose them. Most defunct routes are defunct for a reason (LOW RIDERSHIP!).

Southport today isn't Southport 33 years ago.

Also, some of your routes in the past would run on streets that do not run through all the way or are too narrow to fit buses (99-99th and the 27-Prairie come to mind?)

If it worked then, why not now? Obviously, narrow streets aren't preferable, but it's better than no service.