It's not a slam dunk !!!

trainman8119

See article in today's Trib  regarding Sunday's implementation of the Pink Line. A poll is nearly 50-50 in whether or not it is a good idea. The more I look at this, the more I don't see an overall benefit to this, other than using less equipment. I don't see why you can't add trains to the Douglas Blue line and increase service without using the Paulina Corridor. Remember, these are the same trains that all ran about 3 minutes apart in rush hour at one time....now for whatever reason, it can't be done.

I still see this is disquised service cut, and another baddddd Kruesi idea for what he perceives as an improvement (remember the route number fiasco). Only time will tell, I guess.

I guess the questions are:

• Is there more equipment to add? It looks like they are just taking 44 cars off the Blue to run the Pink independently, and using 4 car trains instead of the 8s that would normally run during rush hour.
  • Could one increase the frequency on both Forest Park and Douglas without needing more cars to go to O'Hare? There wasn't any plan to short turn Douglas Blue Line trains, say at the stub where the subway tunnel turns from Lake to Milwaukee.

I agree, though, that it is not a slam dunk, in that:

• Do the complainers about the loss of a direct connection to the Blue Line (other than the half hour rush trains) outnumber those whose ride to the Loop will be faster?
  • Was it worth it to spend $400 million to rebuild a line that only has patronage to support 4 car trains, or will the cars become too crowded? Will the relief afforded by receiving the 5000 series cars come too late?

In essence you have the same question as when Howard/Englewood-Jackson Park and Lake/Dan Ryan were swapped: Does the demand on each branch balance?

I saved both the old and new O'Hare schedules. There doesn't seem to be any difference in the frequency, except now the only trains that go to Cermak are during the morning rush hour at about :00 and :25 or :30 and evening rush hour at :27 and :57.