Quincy/Wells Renovation and Rendering

BusHunter

CTA has kind of a cool historical piece on the Quincy/Wells station on it's site.

http://hqjwcny.transitchicago.com/quincy/

I didn't know at one time the platforms were cut in half to serve different rail company lines. Interesting. Also there are alot of period pieces in the forms of pictures and equipment.

The rendering also shows how they will put the elevator towers at the end of the platform. That's smart and inexpensive and doesn't mess with the historical integrity of the station. Nice going!! :D After this they'll only be down to 3 elevated loop stations that are not handicapped accessible.

46 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I didn't know at one time the platforms were cut in half to serve different rail company lines.

As implied in the article, the L companies were separate until brought together in the Chicago Elevated Railways Collateral Trust in 1913. Chicago-l.org describes how Insull brought it together.

46 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

The rendering also shows how they will put the elevator towers at the end of the platform. That's smart and inexpensive and doesn't mess with the historical integrity of the station. Nice going!!

But bringing it all together, it doesn't show how the elevator will be fare controlled. Have to go through a Ventra gate on the platform?

9 hours ago, Busjack said:

As implied in the article, the L companies were separate until brought together in the Chicago Elevated Railways Collateral Trust in 1913. Chicago-l.org describes how Insull brought it together.

But bringing it all together, it doesn't show how the elevator will be fare controlled. Have to go through a Ventra gate on the platform?

Didn't realize how segregated the businesses were from each other. But then again Jewel's is not going to have Mariano's products in it. But you would think that if the companies all agreed to use the Union Loop that it wouldn't have the right to divide platforms. That would be up to the Union Loop to decide because the branch companies didn't own those tracks just the branches. I guess the argument that one company could steal the other's business was a valid one.

Ah I see you thought of something I didn't with the elevators. Can't put a rotogate either unless it's a special accessible one. Can't put just a bicycle/wheelchair gate or people would fare evade, so they might have an issue there.

14 hours ago, Busjack said:

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Didn't realize how segregated the businesses were from each other. But then again Jewel's is not going to have Mariano's products in it. But you would think that if the companies all agreed to use the Union Loop that it wouldn't have the right to divide platforms. That would be up to the Union Loop to decide because the branch companies didn't own those tracks just the branches. I guess the argument that one company could steal the other's business was a valid one.

Ah I see you thought of something I didn't with the elevators. Can't put a rotogate either unless it's a special accessible one. Can't put just a bicycle/wheelchair gate or people would fare evade, so they might have an issue there.

If you look at the rendering closely, you will see that the elevator and passageway are connected to the stationhouse, not the actual train platforms. Hence, whether you use the stairs or elevator, you still have to go through fare control in the stationhouse.

6 hours ago, juelzkellz said:

If you look at the rendering closely, you will see that the elevator and passageway are connected to the stationhouse, not the actual train platforms. Hence, whether you use the stairs or elevator, you still have to go through fare control in the stationhouse.

Yeah you're right. That's a solution to that problem. I guess then it's just a simple solution of putting accessible doors that open automatically or with the push of a button.