UP conductor giving engineer something

west towns

23 minutes ago, west towns said:

Riding inbound up nw line train in cab car i noticed after clyburn the conductor walked to fro t of car openwd a compartment under the engineer and put something in it.

What was this about?

A compartment under the engineer? You mean it was accessed from the lower level? There are compartments for conductors to store personal items and tickets, but I thought those were all under the stairs to the upper level near the vestibule.

43 minutes ago, west towns said:

Riding inbound up nw line train in cab car i noticed after clyburn the conductor walked to fro t of car openwd a compartment under the engineer and put something in it.

What was this about?

I don't recall any compartments under the engineer's position. It's all real estate for the passengers. I sit in the last row of the outbound train and there really isn't space for a closet or anything. Heck even the reading lights on the 8400s get lower to the ground by the cab.

17 minutes ago, trainman8119 said:

The 8400s have a door to the cab for the conductor to give paperwork or things to the engineer. IIRC, on the UP, the conductor

holds a key that he gives to the engineer to use once they get downtown. I forget what it is for, but I believe that is what you saw

Thanks for a minute i thought i was seeing things