Wanted-CTA badge

• 4 years later...

I have a large collection of transit related items, and have always wanted to get my hands on a CTA badge of any sort. If anyone knows where I could obtain one or would be interested in selling me one or trading for something please let me know.Best wishes-Kyle

Ebay is the best place to get old CTA Chicago Transit Authority badges from the 1950s, 1960s, & 1970s! I know! I've ordered a few of them, myself! They come indifferent series numbers!

I just recently found my old CTA badge. I havent seen it in about three or four years. I was looking and looking around the house for it almost certin I may have accidentally discarded the box that contained it. Finally, one box in my garage I never looked in, inside I found the shoebox I had stored my CTA items when I left back in 2005 to join the fire dept. along with my old puncher still in its holster and a few other CTA knick knacks, now collectibles!. I was relieved to have found my CTA badge #33576.

I just recently found my old CTA badge. I havent seen it in about three or four years. I was looking and looking around the house for it almost certin I may have accidentally discarded the box that contained it. Finally, one box in my garage I never looked in, inside I found the shoebox I had stored my CTA items when I left back in 2005 to join the fire dept. along with my old puncher still in its holster and a few other CTA knick knacks, now collectibles!. I was relieved to have found my CTA badge #33576.

I don't have much CTA memorbilia... just a old wooden rail tie piece that I found on Lincoln under the Brown Line when they were replacing them with new plastic or rubber ones. I asked a worker if I could take it, and he said sure.

Was it the 1960s plastic version or the 1970s metal version that had the badge #33576? Or it could have been the 1980s version! I think the CTA used badges from 1960 to 1987!

• 3 months later...

Was it the 1960s plastic version or the 1970s metal version that had the badge #33576? Or it could have been the 1980s version! I think the CTA used badges from 1960 to 1987!

CTA used actual badges WAY past 1987.

There was a metal version (brass) that was used in the late '40s close to the very early 1960s.

These were the ones with wings, and numbers were engraved in blue.

Then, in the early 1960s, CTA went with a plastic yellow and green badge. The policy then was, if you were an operating employee, and you lost your badge, you not only paid for a new one, you paid the cost of running a newspaper ad in the papers requesting its return. You were issued a NEW number. Your old badge number was now null and void. CTA published a list of lost badges then as well. When you made LINE INSTRUCTOR, your station superintendent made you a embossed tape and affixed it to the bottom of your plastic badge. Your badge was to remain on your hat at all times, as you hat was to remain on your skull at all times.

1968 - CTA went to a modified metal badge as the plastic ones easily got brittle and broke. Also, the plastic ones were prone to getting lost as they were held in place by two simple clips. These metal badges were somewhat triangular (pyramid) shaped with the CTA roundel coin on top, and the operator's number on the bottom. Again, if you lost a badge, it was replaced with a new number, and the unfortunate operator paid the price. In 1971, an agreement with the transit unions allowed operators service caps to be optional, but the badge must be displayed at the right shoulder patch. Newbies were still required to wear the service cap until their probation period ended. Line Instructors were issued a plastic addition that designated their status.

1979 was the year that the "current" metal badges were issued. This had the familiar "cta" Helvetica logo, and the operator number was an insert. This made the badges more replaceable. If you lost your badge, you still paid for it, but once a month, replacement badges were made in house at South Shops, as were special orders for Line Instructors, Box Pullers, Collectors, and Foot Collectors. They were in use well into 2000. By 1990, most operating employees had the OPTION to wear a number patch as opposed to the heavy metal badge. I'm thinking by 1995/96, the authority was no longer issuing the metal badges to operators (I could be wrong here).

Concerning badge #33576:

This badge was issued sometime in the very late 1990s or early 2000s. Numbers are now issued chronologically, and it didn't exist before 1995 at all.

Before 1979, five digit badge numbers were either issued to FTTO Bus Operators (Summer Help), or Rail Personnel. Summer Bus badges started with 12XXX-13XXX. Rail badges used to begin with 21XXX - 25XXX. As most of you know, the old bus operator badges were 2501 - 9999.

If you're curious, mine was 7699.

Yes, I still have all my badges.

There was a metal version (brass) that was used in the late '40s close to the very early 1960s.

Then, in the early 1960s, CTA went with a plastic yellow and green badge. The policy then was, if you were an operating employee, and you lost your badge, you not only paid for a new one, you paid the cost of running a newspaper ad in the papers requesting its return. You were issued a NEW number. Your old badge number was now null and void. CTA published a list of lost badges then as well. When you made LINE INSTRUCTOR, your station superintendent made you a embossed tape and affixed it to the bottom of your plastic badge. Your badge was to remain on your hat at all times, as you hat was to remain on your skull at all times.

1968 - CTA went to a modified metal badge as the plastic ones easily got brittle and broke. Also, the plastic ones were prone to getting lost as they were held in place by two simple clips. These metal badges were somewhat triangular (pyramid) shaped with the CTA roundel coin on top, and the operator's number on the bottom. Again, if you lost a badge, it was replaced with a new number, and the unfortunate operator paid the price. In 1971, an agreement with the transit unions allowed operators service caps to be optional, but the badge must be displayed at the right shoulder patch. Newbies were still required to wear the service cap until their probation period ended. Line Instructors were issued a plastic addition that designated their status.

1979 was the year that the "current" metal badges were issued. This had the familiar "cta" Helvetica logo, and the operator number was an insert. This made the badges more replaceable. If you lost your badge, you still paid for it, but once a month, replacement badges were made in house at South Shops, as were special orders for Line Instructors, Box Pullers, Collectors, and Foot Collectors. They were in use well into 2000. By 1990, most operating employees had the OPTION to wear a number patch as opposed to the heavy metal badge. I'm thinking by 1995/96, the authority was no longer issuing the metal badges to operators (I could be wrong here).

Concerning badge #33576:

This badge was issued sometime in the very late 1990s or early 2000s. Numbers are now issued chronologically, and it didn't exist before 1995 at all.

Before 1979, five digit badge numbers were either issued to FTTO Bus Operators (Summer Help), or Rail Personnel. Summer Bus badges started with 12XXX-13XXX. Rail badges used to begin with 21XXX - 25XXX. As most of you know, the old bus operator badges were 2501 - 9999.

When did the CTA Plastic Badges come out?

Concerning badge #33576:

Was 7699 the same CTA Badge number on the other old CTA Badge numbers?

When did the CTA Plastic Badges come out?

Don't know the exact year of the change. It was somewhere between 1959-'61 from what I can tell.

I have a large collection of transit related items, and have always wanted to get my hands on a CTA badge of any sort. If anyone knows where I could obtain one or would be interested in selling me one or trading for something please let me know.Best wishes-Kyle

Did you check out EBay for the CTA Badges?

Concerning badge #33576:

Not only did CTA change the style of the badge, but also the style of their uniforms as well in 1968, when they included the old blue CTA patch on the gray uniforms! It remained that way until they changed the unis again, this time to a more dark blue color(that they have now)

• 2 months later...

Concerning badge #33576:

I think you're referring to the brown-winged CTA "blue" badges from the 1940s, 1950s, & 1960s? Also, did you know they're for sale on EBay?

• 2 weeks later...

Concerning badge #33576:

Hey, they've got some more old CTA Badges on EBay(Check out badge number 3083 from the 1960s)I could have gotten some of them for my bday present(Turned 50 last Tuesday(August 2nd)to go along with the three that I already have!

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...