Bypass lever

MRChiCity

9 hours ago, MRChiCity said:

Good afternoon, 

I have heard defective fareboxes being called in on CTA and Pace buses and have heard references to the bypass lever? What is that? Thanks.

The bypass lever allows money to be inserted if the acceptor becomes jammed or otherwise inoperable. When this happens, fares must be visually verified by the driver because the farebox does not electronically count money.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pace831 said:

The bypass lever allows money to be inserted if the acceptor becomes jammed or otherwise inoperable. When this happens, fares must be visually verified by the driver because the farebox does not electronically count money.

I don't think most drivers care enough to try to count the money and just let the cash oayers ride free.  Some will even let the Ventra users ride free.

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I don't think most drivers care enough to try to count the money and just let the cash oayers ride free.  Some will even let the Ventra users ride free.

The operators on this forum have reported (such as here) that they are not to dispute fares as a protection against assault. Are you saying that they won’t use the bypass feature at all, or just that they won’t use the window in the farebox to verify the correct amount has been paid?

6 hours ago, Pace831 said:

The operators on this forum have reported (such as here) that they are not to dispute fares as a protection against assault. Are you saying that they won’t use the bypass feature at all, or just that they won’t use the window in the farebox to verify the correct amount has been paid?

IMO, and in my riding experience, if the firebox isn't working,  they have let passengers ride free.  Even though $2.50 would seemingly be easy to observe, we know passengers will try to pay with a bunch of coins.  Some drivers won't use the bypass therefore avoiding counting fares.  The additional benefit is not getting into any fare disputes.  Some drivers may indeed use the bypass, but most won't bother if a passenger is short also yo avoid a dispute.