Metra to Rockford

Busjack

Official announcement that the state is extending the Milw-W to Rockford via the UP. Extensive construction is required, with service anticipated in 2027. There is also a project website at http://www.chicagotorockfordrail.org/.

Most of the extension is out of the RTA area, but no word about what entity would be responsible for operating costs.

• Thanks 1

Since the Governor chose Metra to operate the line to Rockford, will Boone and Winnebago counties become a part of the RTA service area? I'm sure the legislature will amend the laws to make that happen.

Two round-trip trains a day? I mean I know you got to start somewhere but that's definitely a obscenely low number. Maybe 6 to 10 round-trips to Rockford for starters, with more trains extended to Huntley. I'm surprised that Marengo wasn't selected to have a station. I guess we will have to wait as more details come out. But it' got picked over the proposed UP-West extension to Dekalb or the BNSF extension to Sandwich. But I'm happy for expansion, nevertheless. ??‍♂️?

11 hours ago, renardo870 said:

Since the Governor chose Metra to operate the line to Rockford, will Boone and Winnebago counties become a part of the RTA service area? I'm sure the legislature will amend the laws to make that happen.

Two round-trip trains a day? I mean I know you got to start somewhere but that's definitely a obscenely low number. Maybe 6 to 10 round-trips to Rockford for starters, with more trains extended to Huntley. I'm surprised that Marengo wasn't selected to have a station. I guess we will have to wait as more details come out. But it' got picked over the proposed UP-West extension to Dekalb or the BNSF extension to Sandwich. But I'm happy for expansion, nevertheless. ??‍♂️?

Turns out we discussed this about 14 years ago, and the situation didn't change until the governor found the capital money. More recently, I had in mind the comments of Pace director Schielke, from Kane County, who says that Oswego, DeKalb, Rockford, and Belvedere want service, but don't want to pay RTA taxes. On the other hand, the state subsidizes Amtrak and the RTA doesn't, so I suppose the legislature will figure something out along the lines you suggest.

11 hours ago, renardo870 said:

It has been stated that this will not be an extension of the RTA service area but an inter-city service operated by Metra at lower frequencies and different price to the commuter services in the RTA area.

11 minutes ago, busfan2847 said:

It has been stated that this will not be an extension of the RTA service area but an inter-city service operated by Metra at lower frequencies and different price to the commuter services in the RTA area.

The sources I cited said this type of stuff was to be determined. Any other source?

3 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

I noted that statements not derived from the press release were prefaced by "it is expected" and "Passengers should expect" indicating that they don't know. The statements such as those by Derwinski about "to be determined" appear more accurate regarding the current state of affairs.