2024 Historical Calendar

As noted, it's available here. Like the schedules, it is an exercise in find the errors, and features the infamous XXX run box. Also, I can't figure out the spider web on the cover, unless it is another view of the subway shaft.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

As noted, it's available here. Like the schedules, it is an exercise in find the errors, and features the infamous XXX run box. Also, I can't figure out the spider web on the cover, unless it is another view of the subway shaft.

As it says on the back page:

"Wondering about the unusual cover for this year’s calendar? This year, our publications and design team decided to try some new things with our historical calendar—while mostly maintaining bits of history and pictures of people using our (and predecessor) services and transit vehicles with history and gorgeous photos from our archives, we wanted to also highlight some great photography from events and moments in transit history, including some of the incredible engineering works behind building transit lines that are built to last.

In particular, the photo from March is a stunning image looking upward from deep inside a construction shaft as part of building Chicago’s first downtown subways—the attractive geometry, radiating ringed interior and scale inspired us to create cover art from this image and is an abstracted, stylized image for the calendar cover that nods to and embraces the elegant, modernist, geometric aesthetics that are core to CTA’s classic, “Swiss” or “International” design language and style (most associated with our approachable and highly readable signage and wayfinding system)."

22 hours ago, Busjack said:

The historical notes for January leave out that S-104 & all the freight cars ran on a gantlet track, due to the fact that the freight cars were far wider than the L cars.  I remember when the gantlet ran all the way past Howard, I assume to service the Hines Lumber Mears Yard, on Chicago Ave. in Evanston just north of Howard, where the now West Yard is at Howard.  Later the gantlet was cut back to just north of Berwyn & only coal cars that went to the Lill Coal yard there were delivered by the CTA.  I remember seeing them lined up on the Milwaukee Road siding along the east side of Graceland Cemetery during the day, where Challenger Park is now.  There is also the remnant of an old freight siding behind the Jewel store on Chicago Ave. in Evanston, just south of Dempster, as there are still some rails leading down an incline there, but I don't know what that siding serviced.

29 minutes ago, strictures said:

The historical notes for January leave out that S-104 & all the freight cars ran on a gantlet track, due to the fact that the freight cars were far wider than the L cars.  I remember when the gantlet ran all the way past Howard, I assume to service the Hines Lumber Mears Yard, on Chicago Ave. in Evanston just north of Howard, where the now West Yard is at Howard.  Later the gantlet was cut back to just north of Berwyn & only coal cars that went to the Lill Coal yard there were delivered by the CTA.  I remember seeing them lined up on the Milwaukee Road siding along the east side of Graceland Cemetery during the day, where Challenger Park is now.  There is also the remnant of an old freight siding behind the Jewel store on Chicago Ave. in Evanston, just south of Dempster, as there are still some rails leading down an incline there, but I don't know what that siding serviced.

There was aksi, until the mid 70s, a trolley wire over Track 1. Supposedly, there was a coal yard around Fostter in Chicago, which disappeared when coal heat was banned. I also remember that when CTA was installing continuous-welded rail on the north side, the ramp around Jewel was used to load ballast cars.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

There was aksi, until the mid 70s, a trolley wire over Track 1. Supposedly, there was a coal yard around Fostter in Chicago, which disappeared when coal heat was banned. I also remember that when CTA was installing continuous-welded rail on the north side, the ramp around Jewel was used to load ballast cars.

The coal yard was that Lill Coal I referred to, now there's a Jewel there at Berwyn & Broadway.  The CTA used the two siding tracks just north of South Blvd. in Evanston for loading the ballast for the rebuild of the NSML in the 70s.

And I used to watch the North Shore Line conductors put the trolley pole up from the Loyola platform all the time while their SB trains were going 70 MPH on that curve at Loyola.

On 1/4/2024 at 11:18 AM, busfan2847 said:

As it says on the back page:

"Wondering about the unusual cover f

That isn't on the pdf downloaded from the linked site. Is on the webpage, though.