Metra Central Warehouse

5 hours ago, MRChiCity said:

This aired on CH 7 last night 

Thoughts

Shouldn't a "Central Warehouse", be located centrally?  170th & Halsted isn't central! 

And exactly why do they need such a big sign?  That looks like the sign for a big grocery store! So what connected company got the sign contract?

2 hours ago, strictures said:

Shouldn't a "Central Warehouse", be located centrally?  170th & Halsted isn't central! 

And exactly why do they need such a big sign?  That looks like

the sign for a big grocery store! So what connected company got the sign contract?

Essentially, you're dealing with trivia.

Since it was board meeting time, I looked at the original source, The Harvey Warehouse Report, if you read through it, indicates that they already own the warehouse in Harvey, but it needs renovation, and project management doesn' know what to do, whether continue on that path, buy somewhere else and sell tge property, or tear down the warehouse and build anew. see

The Harvey location is at least near the ME and CN yard. The alternative locations (see below), except E. 87th St., are not near anything.

image.png.836e7d2c2206ff7749d782ac8a7e0ff6.png

• Like 1

• Kevin changed the title to Metra Central Warehouse
1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Essentially, you're dealing with trivia.

Since it was board meeting time, I looked at the original source, The Harvey Warehouse Report, if you read through it, indicates that they already own the warehouse in Harvey, but it needs renovation, and project management doesn' know what to do, whether continue on that path, buy somewhere else and sell tge property, or tear down the warehouse and build anew. see

The Harvey location is at least near the ME and CN yard. The alternative locations (see below), except E. 87th St., are not near anything.

image.png.836e7d2c2206ff7749d782ac8a7e0ff6.png

The Ohio St one is centrally located though & is near the UP's 40th St engine yard & not far from Metra's Western Ave coach yards.  Also near the Burlington Line & somewhat close to all the downtown train stations.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, strictures said:

The Ohio St one is centrally located though & is near the UP's 40th St engine yard & not far from Metra's Western Ave coach yards.  Also near the Burlington Line & somewhat close to all the downtown train stations.

That's true. At the time, I was only thinking it was near the under-construction CTA control and training center.

Sun-Times commentary on this topic: "Metra 'boondoggle' is textbook case of mismanaging taxpayer money

Metra is blowing tens of millions of dollars, with terrible oversight, on a warehouse in Harvey it bought in 2020. This is why transit agency reforms are a must."

Mostly it quotes the ABC7 report posted a te top of this topic, but Rich Miller adds: "The thing that just completely blew my mind about the ABC7 story was Derwinski’s cavalier attitude about the taxpayer money it had spent and is committed to spending in the future."

Then, after citing reaction to the fiscal cliff (and apparently reacting to the $1.5 billion bill accompanying the Metropolitan Mobility Authority bill), he concluded: "Excuse me, but how the heck is the state government supposed to trust Metra to spend a massive operations bailout wisely when it’s blowing tens of millions of capital dollars on a boondoggle with no discernible process and almost criminally lax oversight and shrugging it all off as no big deal?"

13 minutes ago, Railguy said:

Sounds similar to the Pace Wheeling garage construction

In that each agency doesn't know what it wants to do with its building, yes. In that ABC7 and Rich Miller say that Metra did it under the table, no.