Extra O'Hare downtown service in August 24

20 hours ago, Railguy said:

Wonder the service span and does it include weekends

The announcement on Metra's site is here, which links to the schedule here. It's only for the 4 days of the DNC.

Edited by Busjack
Correcting in light os subsequent review of weekend schedule; may have misled @railguy

18 hours ago, Railguy said:

Doesnt help those on weekends arriving or dep the convention.  

Personally, I don't think it's going to be used. Especially with the need for increased security highlighted the past few days, anyone who is credentialed to go into the United Center is going to come in a limo. Those going to the fund raisers certainly will.

However, you missed that there is a Temporary Weekend Schedule at the bottom.

image.png

Update: if you are referring to the length of the convention, it's Aug. 19-22, so starts Aug 12 is early enough to get people in, and end Aug. 30 gives them a week to leave.

Edited by Busjack
Clarifying if it does atendees any good.
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Busjack said:

The question is CN, which Metra thanked this time, but is usually recalcitrant.

Considering how little of the Soo Line tracks are used to get to O'Hare from the Milwaukee West Line, about three miles, I really don't know why the CN can't get its act together & let Metra have extra service on that part of the NC Line.

1 hour ago, Railguy said:

Yup I did miss the weekend schedule.  Thank you for pointing this out.  My comments are corrected.

Now why cant Metra do this year round?

Because  CN owns the tracjsge north of the MD-W line and has refused Metra expansion to prioritize its freight operations.   Perhaps CN made an exception for the DNC in hopes of not angering the National Democratic Party.   Surely the railroad wouldn't want to suffer any backlash should the Blue Party retain either the Presidency, Congress, or both.  It remains to be seen if CN will make any future concessions to Metra.

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Busjack said:

Sun-Times article that Metra wants to make this permanent, despite ridership being somewhat of a dud, having to cooperate with CN and CPKS, and the need for capital improvements.

I suppose CPKC is going to milk what it can from Metra in exchange for the increase in service.   The question is whether CN will hold fast to its penchant for not wanting to allow Metra to expand at all or will they Alstyne to milk Metra for upgrades and repairs in exchange for the increased service?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I suppose CPKC is going to milk what it can from Metra in exchange for the increase in service.   The question is whether CN will hold fast to its penchant for not wanting to allow Metra to expand at all or will they Alstyne to milk Metra for upgrades and repairs in exchange for the increased service?

As Metra owns the Milw. Dist., the only leverage CPKC has is dispatch. On the other hand, CN probably will do what you said.

• Upvote 1