NABI's on 192

trainman8119

With all the talk of Opus buses on the U of C routes because of their size, is there a real need to have 60 foot NABI buses on the 192 route. This is a regular thing, since I have seen them at Ogilvie all the time, and caught one headed west on 59th street tonight.

Once again wondering if the artics are being utilized properly. I would think that they would be better used on the 20, for example, before the 192. Before I hear about the silly tracking installed on Novas on the route, my point is that the Novas are full before they hit State Street...even in off peak times. I just scratch my head seeing them on midday routes like 156 or 192 when some seating could be used on a route like 20 all the time...even after rush hour. I contend this is real poor use of equipment. Anyone agree ????

Well, I do agree that they are being misused on some routes (such as 52 or 82 out of Kedzie), and I rather see them used on 62 and [dare I say] an 80 when there's too many people to board onto one bus (especially during school trips).

Now as far as the 192 is concerned: you can get a fairly decent amount of people on that artic given half the chance. I usually have been arriving at Union Station (during the summer) and I'll see a decent amount of people alight from the bus. Don't get me wrong, I think you can get as much usage from, say, a 6000, but at the same time, you never know how many people will actually board a 192 run, considering U of C may (or not) be concentrated with lots of people.

Yes, you have the orange line paralleling that route, but my argument is that many people don't ride the orange line if they're going from Ashland to California, or Pulaski to Harlem. A standard 40-foot bus usually would get crowded anyway throughout the entire route, and not many would opt to take the train if the bus will drop them off right in front of their houses/jobs/etc.

Yes, the Orange is used to bypass stops and perhaps make the commute quicker, I won't argue that, but keep in mind, some people wouldn't board at a train, and then may ride until at least the actual stop (if they so choose to take the train).

Then Archer alone has at least 3 or 4 high schools to handle the kids, and that route gets longer (and yes, more buses are assigned to the route I think, but that may not be enough). Kennedy, Kelly, and Curie (I think one more high school lies on Archer). Sure, at least Curie has passengers take Pulaski or the Orange Line, Kennedy has a feeder (55N or 62H) to the Orange Line, and Kelly just on the California bus, but as many people ride Archer just as much as people ride the Orange Line.

If I made an argument to revive the express buses on Archer, I should be shot. But utilizing some artics on archer seems feasible.