Retiring the 5300's

instyles

If you look at Bus Repairman's post slightly before the Archer shifts happened, 103 had only about 49 5300s. Since then, they received a lot from Archer. What we don't know (and you don't either) is how bad the 5300s were that have already been scrapped (see Farewell Flxibles).

I'm no longer compulsive enough to believe that buses are delivered or retired in numeric order. (How do you explain the frequent sightings of Pace 2000s on Pace routes, even though they aren't listed in the active roster?)

• 5 months later...

Does any body know in what order they are defueling the 5300's ? Because with over 200 flyers in service all of the 5300's and 5400's should be retired.

Ive been told by a reliable source that the 5300s have been seen being driven to their final destination, the shredders at 93rd/Ewing. This person has told me he has seen at least ten 5300s heading for the shredders.

I was told by a maintaiance mang. that a bus is retired according to the condition of the bus frame. Some Flexs are being kept on while the New Flyers are coming in to be used as extras on the suppemental service to be put i place April 2, when CTA stsarts 3 tracking, they've been hiring part=time operators for this and have started shipping them to North Park, Forest Glen, and Chicago which will have the extra busses.