Free Rides For Retirees And CTA Employees Might Go Bye Bye.

I was on the Foster bus this afternoon and was just plain nosy when a few drivers started talking about some changes that might be coming soon. The talk centered on the end of free rides for city workers and the possibility of CTA employees having to pay their own way when they're off the clock. Obviously take this with a mountain of delicious salt. I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

I understand that all came from a misquote in a newspaper (possibly the RedEye?). Ron Huberman wants to limit company-paid travel (i.e. out of town to conventions or other industry funcitons), but somehow that got mistaken for eliminating free rides on the system.

Such a move would save absolutely no money, and would accomplish nothing.

Hi All;

I was employed by the City of Chicago from 1994 through 2003 and at no time was I able to ride the CTA for free. I worked in Business and Information Services [ie, I wasn't a police officer or crossing guard] and didn't have that benefit. I don't think CTA will be able to get away with dropping free rides for retirees.

Gene

• 3 weeks later...

CTA had eliminated the free rides for retirees about 2 years ago. The recent talk was of eliminating the free rides for current emplyees. They decided against it since a lot of current employees ride the bus to work. And you wouldnt be able to call in and say your ar wont start..... No excuse, you have a free pass ride the bus to work

CTA had eliminated the free rides for retirees about 2 years ago. The recent talk was of eliminating the free rides for current emplyees. They decided against it since a lot of current employees ride the bus to work. And you wouldnt be able to call in and say your ar wont start..... No excuse, you have a free pass ride the bus to work

That is not the reason the idea was scrapped. The free rides for employees provision is part of the collective bargaining agreement. When it was discussed, the union balked, so the idea was scrapped.

To eliminate that provision is really silly, since it does not cost anything to give it. The idea that you would make money is silly, since employees probably would just not use it if they had to pay anyway.

As information, Metra is the only service board that does not give free rides to their employees (other than retirees for those railroaders who worked passenger service before Metra took over) and as far as I am concerned, it is a joke (and in most cases, we don't charge those we know at the risk of termination !!!!).