At Least We Dont Got Gillics Like Minneapolis

qwantae

You folks are such characters. [HaHAH]

The only Gilligs I've ridden have been Phantoms operated by rental car companies at airports.

On this and other forums I have read complaints about them.

I have also heard that Gillig does not like to bid on contracts for major operators like CTA.

Gene King

When I lived in Rochester, New York, they had Gillig (note the spelling) Phantoms and Orion Vs. Not much difference between the two (both had virtually the same steel box exterior and undoubtedly the same mechanicals), except that the Gilligs were then exclusively suburbans.

Kansas City has ordered numerous amounts of Gilligs since 1996. Why? I don't know. The 1st order in '96 were 39 40ft standard floor models, almost all of them had troubles for a while. I figured after that they wouldn't order anymore Gilligs. In 1998 they ordered a few 30 ft standards floors. And in 2002 after trying out a 40 and 30 ft low floor prototype from 1999, they began recieving lf models around 20 to 30 a year. Althoug I don't care for Gilligs, in 2005 Kansas City opened a new rapid bus line and got 12 new special brt Gilligs which are cadillacs inside and out. I wish we had New Flyers like Chicago but oh well.

Kansas City has ordered numerous amounts of Gilligs since 1996. Why? I don't know. The 1st order in '96 were 39 40ft standard floor models, almost all of them had troubles for a while. I figured after that they wouldn't order anymore Gilligs. In 1998 they ordered a few 30 ft standards floors. And in 2002 after trying out a 40 and 30 ft low floor prototype from 1999, they began recieving lf models around 20 to 30 a year. Althoug I don't care for Gilligs, in 2005 Kansas City opened a new rapid bus line and got 12 new special brt Gilligs which are cadillacs inside and out. I wish we had New Flyers like Chicago but oh well.

Does Kansas City ATA still got 1989, 1993-94 RTS buses?

When I lived in Rochester, New York, they had Gillig (note the spelling) Phantoms and Orion Vs. Not much difference between the two (both had virtually the same steel box exterior and undoubtedly the same mechanicals), except that the Gilligs were then exclusively suburbans.

I read that Rochester, New York has 1996 Nova Classic's too, Do they?

Ha Ha, I lived in Grand Rapids, Michigan and they did the same thing with Kansas City; I just cant understand why, I hate Gilligs. They first ordered 11 30ft and 14 35ft Standard floor Phantoms in 1996. Almost all drivers hate them because they're too jumpy. In 1997, they ordered 25 more 35 ft standard; year later, 11 more 35 ft standard models. In 2001, they received first Low Floor buses on the fleet with 8 40 ft models, The amount of seats in 40 ft Low Floor are the same as 35 ft Standard which was shocking. Then between 2005 and last year received over 40 more of them to replace 14+ year old models which were 13 MCI Classics and 8 Orion Vs. Those were my favorites, So Then I moved to Chicago where different types of buses. This year, they just received 3 Hypid VanHools similar to AC Transit in Oakland, they look great, looks sort of like Nova Low Floors. Dont worry, Kansas City will probably get New Flyers soon, Gilligs are the Cheapest buses anyways.

No reason to be rude, Im sorry, I meant Gillig
How about the "worser"?

As for Rochester, it would have been after I was there, although I did read news articles that it was essentially ordered at about the same time and circumstances as Pace's.

Yep KCATA still has a some 89 and 9300's left. It's funny when u see 'em cause of all the new Gilligs.

Yeah, RTSes are my favorite buses, they are the best, I have some pictures of 1989 RTS KCATA bus. I bet that they still have them because they ride smoother than Gillig. So do you like driving them better than Gillig. Are they still going to keep the RTS especially 9300s longer? Are they going to rehab them?

Yeah, RTSes are my favorite buses, they are the best, I have some pictures of 1989 RTS KCATA bus. I bet that they still have them because they ride smoother than Gillig. So do you like driving them better than Gillig. Are they still going to keep the RTS especially 9300s longer? Are they going to rehab them?

Yes i love driving rts a whole lot better. a few reason why: sit higher so you feel more in control and feel less bumps.(even though new flyers(1000s are low floors the driver's seating position is still higher off the floor). Its funny we have alot more 8900 models still in service than we do 9300's. within the last five years, the 93s just kept going down hill in apperance and mechanically. i do hope they keep a few 89s around for a while but i doubt it about the 9300s.

I like the Gilligs, I remember when Pace operated them out of North. The 8600s, I had the chance to ride them, i even have a video of one of the trips. They had the single headlights. I rode Gillig Phantoms many times when i was living in San Diego Calif. They had the 500s and then later they recieved the 1200s i also spent time on them in San Fran. on AC Tran. I like the Gilligs they were utilitarian in design, not very modern looking but still they were an interesting bus. Overall, hands down the best bus were the GMC fish and the RTS. I was glad to have had the chance to operate the RTS at CTA.

I like the Gilligs, I remember when Pace operated them out of North. The 8600s, I had the chance to ride them, i even have a video of one of the trips. They had the single headlights. I rode Gillig Phantoms many times when i was living in San Diego Calif. They had the 500s and then later they recieved the 1200s i also spent time on them in San Fran. on AC Tran. I like the Gilligs they were utilitarian in design, not very modern looking but still they were an interesting bus. Overall, hands down the best bus were the GMC fish and the RTS. I was glad to have had the chance to operate the RTS at CTA.

I really thought that I was the only one in Chicago who likes the RTS on CTA, they are still my favorite Buses, I just dont understand why they didnt refinish the inside of them while they installed A/Cs and rehabbed them. Most of them still has tore up seats but most of them from 103rd garage got refinish seats similar to 6000s. I hope that CTA will keep RTSes through 2008, if not, Im moving to Dallas TX where they have 2002 model Nova RTS buses.

PS- I really miss the Fishbowls, last time I rode them was on #67 on W.71st to Pulawski from 74th garage I believe it was 1977 model.

Yes i love driving rts a whole lot better. a few reason why: sit higher so you feel more in control and feel less bumps.(even though new flyers(1000s are low floors the driver's seating position is still higher off the floor). Its funny we have alot more 8900 models still in service than we do 9300's. within the last five years, the 93s just kept going down hill in apperance and mechanically. i do hope they keep a few 89s around for a while but i doubt it about the 9300s.

I surprised, I believe that 1989 model RTS are alittle better than the any 90s model, other cities I know that still have 89 models are :

Dayton Ohio (Currently running by cables like San Francisco Trolley)

Cleveland Ohio RTA

Flint MI MTA

Chicago CTA (4400-4410)

Los Angeles LACMTA

Yes I love it and it looks funny that driver seat is high up, RTS are the best standard buses that rides smoother, cant feel a bump and can see better. Plus I like the doors slides open and closes.

Plus no wonder that Detroit SMART only had the 9300s (1993 Model) til 2003, then replaced by Gillig Low Floors, thats sad. Only 10 years old at that time of replace.

Keep me posted on 8900 and 9300, I might come down there and drive them, I guess 8900s have been rehabbed huh?

I visit Pensacola Florida, quite often, and they have

Orion Is, which give them the most problems (1992 model, driver said 4 million miles)

Gillig Phantoms ( 96,98,99s)

Gillig Low Floor (2006)

The gilligs they have are very nice, and hardly give them any problems at all. 2006s have seemless window, ride very smoothly, engine is very quiet. I personally like Gilligs.

I surprised, I believe that 1989 model RTS are alittle better than the any 90s model, other cities I know that still have 89 models are :

Dayton Ohio (Currently running by cables like San Francisco Trolley)

Cleveland Ohio RTA

Flint MI MTA

Chicago CTA (4400-4410)

Los Angeles LACMTA

Yes I love it and it looks funny that driver seat is high up, RTS are the best standard buses that rides smoother, cant feel a bump and can see better. Plus I like the doors slides open and closes.

Plus no wonder that Detroit SMART only had the 9300s (1993 Model) til 2003, then replaced by Gillig Low Floors, thats sad. Only 10 years old at that time of replace.

Keep me posted on 8900 and 9300, I might come down there and drive them, I guess 8900s have been rehabbed huh?

not rehabbed, they did get new driver's seats about 7years ago or so. new paint jobs years ago and thats about it. all busses got new genfare fareboxes in '00. (cta still has older genfare fareboxes) which i like cause there old school(remember em when i was little). They still look kinda decent on the outside despite the fact they're so old- classics(lol) Also: have't noticed about newer cta buses, but at night when the front door closes, does the whole right side of the interior lights go out? gilligs do, that make it pretty nice for night driving.