Crest Hill Museum

mikeymc77

Was working in Lockport yesterday and decided to take a ride to the museum. I was shocked to see how bad these buses looked. There were some papers with histories of the bus in some of the windows but nothing updated from 1992. The most curious thing was a Chicago Vehicle Sticker from 1983 on the window of an old Flxible 8700 series. The destination sign had 6 Jeffery on it. I thought these buses were retired in the 70s. It also had something saying "Mobile Voter Unit" on the front. Also, does anyone have pix of these buses before they were left to decay in a pile of weeds. :(

Hey do u want the buses save or no? Its going to cost alot of money to fix them up. My point is that there are save and not in some junk yard. To u come and help no one has nothing to say that how much it cost just to save them there. So do u want them to be there are just in a junk yard? Its a dream for all of us that help out to see then like there just came from flx or gmc. But to we get alot of money nothing can be help.

With regard to the 8700s, CTA did retire them around 1975 when it quit using propane buses. That doesn't mean that it couldn't have been sold to some subsequent user. The sign can't be original, because (1) Jeffrey was run out of 52nd Garage, which used 8600s, and (2) Jeffery was 5 until the express was given its own number as 6 in 1975 or so, as part of the big renumbering. If the sign has lower case letters, it probably never was on an 8700 in revenue service. Finally, I don't think CTA has to buy city stickers, which indicates that the bus was used by someone else after retirement; the only public transit buses I have seen with city stickers are in Waukegan.

Finally, I don't think CTA has to buy city stickers, which indicates that the bus was used by someone else after retirement; the only public transit buses I have seen with city stickers are in Waukegan.

CTA buses do have city stickers, or at least at one time they did. I do believe they have a number on them that begins with an M, same as license places to indicate municipal. Whether or not they actually "pay" for them is another story, but they have had city vehicle stickers, at least in the past.

I found a pic from the photo section of the 809 Hybrid. You can see the sticker above the run box.

post-17-1188490435_thumb.jpg

With regard to the 8700s, CTA did retire them around 1975 when it quit using propane buses. That doesn't mean that it couldn't have been sold to some subsequent user. The sign can't be original, because (1) Jeffrey was run out of 52nd Garage, which used 8600s, and (2) Jeffery was 5 until the express was given its own number as 6 in 1975 or so, as part of the big renumbering. If the sign has lower case letters, it probably never was on an 8700 in revenue service. Finally, I don't think CTA has to buy city stickers, which indicates that the bus was used by someone else after retirement; the only public transit buses I have seen with city stickers are in Waukegan.

Does anyone have an idea where there is another collection of buses, somewhere southwest of Chicago?

This collection has old CTA Flx propanes old looks. I was told some 8400s may be there. Does anyone have an exact location?

Was working in Lockport yesterday and decided to take a ride to the museum. I was shocked to see how bad these buses looked. There were some papers with histories of the bus in some of the windows but nothing updated from 1992. The most curious thing was a Chicago Vehicle Sticker from 1983 on the window of an old Flxible 8700 series. The destination sign had 6 Jeffery on it. I thought these buses were retired in the 70s. It also had something saying "Mobile Voter Unit" on the front. Also, does anyone have pix of these buses before they were left to decay in a pile of weeds. :(

New poster, long time lurker here. The "Mobile Voter Unit" thing was if I remember, something the City of Chicago did back then to get people to register to vote. Whether this particular bus you saw was actually one of them, I don't know though. They'd set these things up at public events like Taste of Chicago, etc..

As for city stickers, all vehicles registered in the City of Chicago must have a sticker. It's been that way for as long as I can remember (early 60's). Even CTA buses and all city owned vehicles. I've seen pictures of old Marmon trolley buses from dating from the 60's with city stickers on them.

Does anyone know where another chicago bus collection is located? I was told somewhere SW of Chicago. I was told there are CTA old look Flx propanes here. Can anyone help me as to exactly where this other collection is located?