Cameras in car 3203.

ryanbytes

I took a ride on the Purple line to get to my brother's new place and was lucky enough to get on car 3203. The car had at least for cameras in bubbles spread through the rear of the car. I didn't get a chance to look towards the front to see what the setup was there.

Good thing the CTA is at least keeping up with its security. What a relief.

WOW! I'm gonna like this to force rain cars to have surveilence cameras.

1.) To catch them who crosses from car to car which is a unsafe conduct.

2.) To catch them who assaults one of riders or employees of CTA.

3.) To catch them who targets riders.

4.) To catch them who fights.

5.) To catch them who smokes on the train.

That's only excellent, professional thing to record any activity.

Thanks,

Alfie :lol:

• 5 years later...

My apologies for bringing up an old thread, but I figured this is the place where it is most appropriate.

Looks like the CTA is considering adding cameras to most, if not all the current DC rail cars that are not facing an impending retirement, according to the Tribune. With the announcement for bids on the future 7000-series rail cars, and current delivery of 5000-series, one would presume that these 2 deliveries will be enough to retire out both the 2600- and 3200-series, if it were to happen in the foreseeable future, though the article mentions how the 5-7 years that are still left until the older cars' retirement justify the cost of the cameras.

I have my doubts. Feel free to add on your thoughts.

I have my doubts. Feel free to add on your thoughts.

I figure it is Homeland Security money, and there were previous inklings that the 2600s weren't going to be retired as quickly as we thought. The last news reports (in connection with the 7000s) indicated that CTA is currently 90 cars over the prior roster (1280 vs. the prior 1190).

Even if they exercise most of the options on 7000s, the 3200s were projected to be around until 2022. May as well identify the muggers on the Brown Line before they get to Rahm or Forrest.

The last news reports (in connection with the 7000s) indicated that CTA is currently 90 cars over the prior roster (1280 vs. the prior 1190).

Yes, I noticed that. That would mean the 200 or so 5000s currently on property hasn't retired an equal amount of older rail cars.

I did not take note that the cameras are funded entirely by a Federal grant, thinking some of CTA's own money was involved. That explains why there wasn't much of a choice in the decision.

I did not take note that the cameras are funded entirely by a Federal grant, thinking some of CTA's own money was involved. That explains why there wasn't much of a choice in the decision.

I don't have substantiation on the last point relating to this procurement, but that's the source of most of the money for cameras..

My apologies. I was unaware of that.

No reason to.

Anyway, WGN Radio just confirmed that it was a Homeland Security grant.

Update: Tribune story to the same effect, but I guess radio rounded it up to $14 million. Also says that only about 200 of the 2600s are slated to retire when the 706 5000s arrive.